March 28, 2024, 06:43:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 2 hydroxy-4-(sulfonamide) benzaldehyde  (Read 12673 times)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: 2 hydroxy-4-(sulfonamide) benzaldehyde
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 12:13:19 PM »
I was wondering whether the sulfonamide activates it. The sulfonyl side is definitely electron withdrawing, I'm not sure how I would characterize the nitrogen side

According to this review (a handy resource), σp = 0.01 for -NHSO2Ph (Table 1, entry 428).

So it shouldn't activate or deactivate the phenol (much).
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 12:55:16 PM »
So what do you guys think of this pathway then:

Excess 4-aminophenol+tosyl chloride with 1.1 eq TEA in THF, wash with weak acid to get unreacted aminophenol and TEA out, wash with bicarb to get any tosic acid out.

Take sulfonamide product and Do a Duff reaction. Add to 2 equivalents of hexmethylenetetramine in refluxing acetic acid for a few hours. Lower temp to 70°C, Add aqueous 6M sulfuric acid, and get it back up to reflux for a few more hours. Cool down, add EtOAc and extract. If some starting material is left I can use the bisulfite trick to push it back and forth between the water and organic layers to purify. I don't expect to get any bi-substituted materials since the first aldehyde should sufficiently deactivated the ring.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 01:54:58 PM by wildfyr »

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »
I would check with TLC or LC/MS if the Duff reaction is working before workup, othervise sounds good. Perhaps you can find any recipe in the literature also as guide.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
Excess 4-aminophenol

Start with 3-aminophenol!

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 06:16:19 AM »
Also, I would not be very confident about the Ts group surviving refluxing 6M sulfuric acid. I remember now a colleague who struggled with a formylation reaction via Duff and Vilsmeier-Haak but eventually got nice results with Reiche formylation. Not sure how practical that would be on scale or the substrate scope, but maybe worth a look.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
Why would you go with 3-aminophenol? the 4 allows me to block the para position and ensure the best regioselectivity.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Why would you go with 3-aminophenol? the 4 allows me to block the para position and ensure the best regioselectivity.

Because the N and O are meta to each other in the product, not para - wouldn't 4-aminophenol give you 2-hydroxy-5-(sulfonamide) benzaldehyde (i.e. not your target)? Or have I misunderstood something?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 01:27:21 PM »
I actually don't care too much at this point about the substitution pattern. It could be something worth investigating, but this is for an application in a polymeric material where I don't think it will matter. I'd rather block the para position and simplify synthesis. My first pathway was just based on the starting material I had.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
Hey guys,
I've made and isolated the dimethylacetal protected 2-hydroxy-5-nitrobenzaldehyde. I've tried reducing it with Na2S2O4 in ethanol/water at 55°C. Within minutes the solution turns bright red. At the end, I get red solid only soluble in water (perhaps sparingly soluble in highly polar organics), and nothing in the organic layer of an EtOAc extraction. NMR shows a little aryl junk, and IR isn't very helpful either. I'm suspicious that I'm basically making a diazo dye of some kind, but I wouldn't expect it to be only water soluble. Any ideas what I'm making, and perhaps another neutral or basic way to reduce nitrobenzene derivs to anilines?

Yes, it is a water soluble diazo dye that is an pH indicator (yellow low pH, red neutral).  The reducing agent being too weak/slow is the problem.  The dyes are suppressible, but not wen the concentration of the nitrosyl is too high.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »
I am going to try to go with the hydroxyl benzene (tosyl) sulfonamide, then formylate it with the Rieche conditions (TiCl4, dichloromethyl methyl ether). Seems to be the most mild and modern condition of those I've found.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 01:31:18 AM »
I am going to try to go with the hydroxyl benzene (tosyl) sulfonamide, then formylate it with the Rieche conditions (TiCl4, dichloromethyl methyl ether). Seems to be the most mild and modern condition of those I've found.
Well, Im sorry I couldn't help you. That nitro reduction is a motherf*#$&@ of a reaction best avioded.  Good luck Wildfyr.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
@Phth
No sweat, if I didn't produce some piles of brown junk, would I even be doing synthesis?  ;D

Sponsored Links