April 19, 2024, 07:26:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titanium dioxide assay by titration  (Read 6268 times)

Offline JNU

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Titanium dioxide assay by titration
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »
Hi,
http://www.pharmacopeia.cn/v29240/usp29nf24s0_m83730.html
This link is for assay determination of titanium dioxide by titration . I don't understand why is ammonium hydroide added at the end of the sample preparation
Thanks.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +166/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Titanium dioxide assay by titration
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:06:01 AM »
Instead to post the whole thing, copy the part you dont understand, I couldnt find the part with the ammonium hydroxide.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:22:56 AM »
If you have a need to understand a pharmacopoeia assay, and you belong to an institution that subscribes to the current pharmacopoeia, you can easily email them, and ask any question you want.  They're glad to help, and will provide peer-reviewed references.

If you have a job to do, you just follow these methods as written, because otherwise you're in violation of the current production standards, unless you validate an alternative method.

More than once, I've called the USP the "drunken frat boy's guide to chemistry" -- the methods seem to use the most obscure, archaic, chemicals and methods possible.  I'm speaking mostly about the wet chemical methods for heavy metals, gradually being replaced by instrumental methods.

Only a real chemistry expert truly understand some of the most obscure assays.  Why do you need to know why ammonia is added?

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline k.khan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Hi,
I am interested to get the CHEMICAL REACTIONS, take place for the Assay of Titanium Dioxide by Titration Method.

Thanks

Frank

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Sorry k.khan:, but the answer to your question is likely the same as the answer to this original question you revived to ask yours:

1). Ask the USP
2). Its too hard for the average chemist to know
3).  You don't need it anyway

You can always try to figure it out.  What's the last step?  How is it done?  What does the titration do?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links