April 19, 2024, 03:48:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about metal toxicity.  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Qaiphyx

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
Question about metal toxicity.
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
If a metal containing .008% of weight of arsenic impurity. How toxic exactly would it be considered at that percent in chemical use? In the metallic form, and the trichloride form. Basically I bought some tin and didn't think to check the impurities till after. Now that I have checked it has that percent of arsenic.

Obviously 0% is desired.

Also, what are good methods for avoiding toxic metal impurities when dealing with inorganic chemistry?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Question about metal toxicity.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
The mechanism by which arsenic III is toxic is partially because it coordinates to pairs of thiol groups, such as one has in reduced lipoic acid.  Toxicity is not my specialty, but it seems to me that a great deal depends on potential routes of absorption.

Offline Qaiphyx

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the response. The primary concern of absorption is skin contact.

I read one case study of a person who spilled pure arsenic trichloride on his leg, the amount wasn't stated, but just from the incident he died.

Offline Qaiphyx

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
I suppose I should correct myself I meant arsenic trioxide not trichloride, I was assuming that the arsenic impurities would react with hydrochloric acid which is inaccurate.

If anyone has any input on this please let me know. Thanks.

Also if anyone could correct my math on how much arsenic that is per ounce of tin it would be appreciated. But what I have come up with is that there are 28000 milligrams per ounce, and thus at .008% weight it would be 2.2mgs per ounce, correct?

Offline Qaiphyx

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
Ok so can anyone elaborate on if arsenic trichloride would form under the following process.

If the tin with arsenic impurities were dissolved under hydrochloric acid and minute nitric acid to rapidize the reaction?

Or, how about if the tin were dissolved in concentrated nitric acid, then later hydrochloric acid was added.

Would any of these reactions result in arsenic trichloride from the impurities?

Im not fairly familiar with arsenic and its reactions.

Sponsored Links