March 28, 2024, 09:35:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ATPs produced from the complete oxidation of fumarate  (Read 3095 times)

Offline domique

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
ATPs produced from the complete oxidation of fumarate
« on: March 23, 2017, 11:14:59 AM »

Hello,
I've got some doubts about the number of ATPs produced from the complete oxidation of fumarate...is it 15 or 12,5?Do I have to count NADPH?

Fumarate -> Malate
Malate -> Piruvate ( 1 NADPH=2,5 ATP)
Piruvate-> Acetyl CoA (1 NADH=2,5 ATP)
Acetyl CoA ->Krebs Cycle ( 10 ATP)

1 FADH2=1,5 ATP
1 NADH  =2,5 ATP

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: ATPs produced from the complete oxidation of fumarate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
Which sub-cellular compartment are we discussing?  What do you propose as a mechanism for donation of electrons from NADPH into the electron-transport chain?

Offline domique

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
Which sub-cellular compartment are we discussing?  What do you propose as a mechanism for donation of electrons from NADPH into the electron-transport chain?

So, malate to pyruvate reaction is catalysed by cytosolic malate dehydrogenase (malic enzyme),which is found in the mitochondrial matrix and is a source for synthesis of NADPH that can be used for the reductive biosynthesis....now what I want to know is if at the end of the oxidation of fumarate I have to consider the equivalents of ATPs from NADPH (2,5 ATPs) or not...

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

So, malate to pyruvate reaction is catalysed by cytosolic malate dehydrogenase (malic enzyme),which is found in the mitochondrial matrix and is a source for synthesis of NADPH that can be used for the reductive biosynthesis....now what I want to know is if at the end of the oxidation of fumarate I have to consider the equivalents of ATPs from NADPH (2,5 ATPs) or not...
I am confused by what you wrote.  Malate dehydrogenase converts malate to oxaloacetate.  Malic enzyme (which produces pyruvate) is indeed cytoplasmic, but it is not found in the mitochondrial matrix, to the best of my knowledge.

I would assume that NADPH is being used biosynthetically; therefore, I would not assume that it is used to make ATP.

Sponsored Links