March 28, 2024, 05:15:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Equation  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Lala

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry Equation
« on: March 24, 2017, 04:57:05 AM »
Hi guys, I was doing a chemistry exercise and stumbled across a question that I have some trouble in. I haven't encountered this kind of chemical equation and have no idea how to even go about answering such a question (despite online research).

What are the products of C18H25NO + NaOH?

Any kind of help would be useful, but if you could explain how you reached this answer, that would be incredible too, thank you!

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Chemistry Equation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:29:05 AM »
Impossible to answer. C18H25NO could be any number of compounds. Do you know its structure?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
The Wikipedia page for the formula you gave lists a number of common chemical compounds with thus atomic formula.  As was said already, the reaction will depend on the structure.

If you'd like some help getting to the bottom of the problem for class work, you'll need to talk about what you know, or have been recently taught, about these compounds and reactions.

Note:  Many of the compounds Wikipedia mentions are controlled substances, so if this isn't a homework question, and you're phishing for druggie kiddie info, that's against the forum rules, posted in red at the top of this page.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Lala

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »
Oh yes thanks! I clarified with the teacher and it refers to the compound dextromethorphan. I was just wondering if anyone could go into detail about how the structure affects the equation, specifically?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Much better.  Ok.  You should know that NaOH is a strong base.  What sort of reactions have you learned that strong bases undergo?  Do you understand the functional groups in dextromethorphan?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links