April 26, 2024, 12:38:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titration problem  (Read 1302 times)

Offline sun725

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Titration problem
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
I have to Calculate this following titration: the expected volume of Hydranal titrant 5 used to titrate 0.1200 g lysozyme, assuming that the titer is 5.00 mg H2O / ml and moisture content of lysozyme is 8.80%.

How do I approach this and what formula should I be using here? I can't seem to find anything ...

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Titration problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:30:48 PM »
This can be a little tough for the first time.

First, lets try to understand what a titration actually is.  Basically, its a way to quantitate something, going by the endpoint of a sharply observable reaction.  This example seems to be going backwards, giving you the end result, and asking you for the observation that would usually give you the result.  But we have to play along.

Second, when faced with a batch of numbers like this, its useful to replace the numbers with simpler ones, and see what math you have to do.

Combing these two points, try this one:

You have a gram of powder.  You know its 10% water.  How much water do you have?

You have Magic Tritrant K-25, which does absolutely nothing if you add 4.9999999999 mg of water, but once it hits 5.00 mg of water, it jumps out of the flask, waves at you, and whistles Dixie.  How much titrant should you add to get a show?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links