April 25, 2024, 04:15:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Amperiometric Sensor  (Read 1442 times)

Offline ervays

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Amperiometric Sensor
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:23:55 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to understand how an amperiometric cell with 3 electrodes(working, reference, counter. All of them inside a electrolyte) works.

Till this point I get that when a gas reaches the working electrode a redox reaction happen and then it release electrons or charges that would cross through an external circuit to the counter that will make the opposite reaction to consume produce electrons.

I can't reach to understand what is the reference electrode or why it has to have a fixed potencial, or why the bias potential should be 0 between working and reference.

Summing up, is there anyone who has some information or knows where to find information about how an amperiometric sensors works internally(works very specifically).

Cheers!

Offline ervays

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Difficult Redox Reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
Hi again,

I've been digging around on how amperiometric sensors works and I found a big problem for me to understand.

Scenario: 2 electrodes anode and cathode. Connected each other by an external circuit. We know oxidation potential of both. So we can calculate the potential difference.

Now, this is the part that I don't understand, lets say that we have a difficult redox reaction(don't know what does it mean) and now we need to have the anode at a higher potential in order to have the current flowing from the anode to the cathode.  What does this means?

Cheers!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Amperiometric Sensor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »
Without a reference you can measure voltage difference, but not the absolute value.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links