March 28, 2024, 02:30:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to determine flammable point/combustible point of tar/wax?  (Read 2642 times)

Offline wanzharif

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello everyone, im working in manufacturing industry and we are using big oven to achieve certain drying condition to make our product. Lately we found formation of wax/tar inside the oven (most probably come from evaporation of our oiling element consist of sorbitan stearate and castor oil). My concern is im afraid this wax/tar will lead to some reaction such as explosion of fire reaction in the oven heated at 160 degree celcius. What kind of analysis or equipment should i use to determine the flammability of this wax/tar? Im thinking about flash point analysis but from what i read its more to volatile gases. Please advise.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: How to determine flammable point/combustible point of tar/wax?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
Welcome, wanzharif!

My first thought is that the biggest flame or explosion risk doesn't come from the residue, but from the gases evolved when the residue is created.

Castor oil isn't expect to decompose at 160°C.

Then, if you want to determine a flash point, the simplest way is to bring a sample of your tar to the chemistry lab of a university. If not, try to reproduce the standard method:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point#Measurement

Offline wanzharif

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: How to determine flammable point/combustible point of tar/wax?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
Dear Mr Enthalpy,

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes i agree with you and i think the tar does not produce any flammable vapor. However, due to flash fire incident happened at my other neighboring plant, my boss feels not comfortable and request me to get some numbers/data on it.

Welcome, wanzharif!

My first thought is that the biggest flame or explosion risk doesn't come from the residue, but from the gases evolved when the residue is created.

Castor oil isn't expect to decompose at 160°C.

Then, if you want to determine a flash point, the simplest way is to bring a sample of your tar to the chemistry lab of a university. If not, try to reproduce the standard method:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point#Measurement

Sponsored Links