March 28, 2024, 01:45:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Which creates most CO2  (Read 5811 times)

Offline KungKemi

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Which creates most CO2
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »
So basically where i stand,

I know 2H+ + CO32- => CO2 + H2O

for both juice and soda, however, i do not know how determine which of these 2 creates more CO2,

Sorry for bumping the thread, but just to clarify where i stand right now!

As has been stated earlier look at the acidic species in each. The pH of a solution is based on the hydronium ion concentration; the greater the pH of the solution the greater the concentration of hydrogen ions in solution.

The reaction 2H+(aq) + CO32-(aq) :rarrow: H2O(l) + CO2 (g) involves hydrogen ions and the carbonate ions from limestone. When these two react together the result is the liberation of water and carbon dioxide. How do you think this relates to the acidity of the beverage? Do you think that a more acidic beverage would be expected to liberate more carbon dioxide upon reaction with carbonate ions?

KungKemi

Offline hotshot422

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 08:32:08 AM »
Yes of course. The lower pH --> THe more H^+ --> the more CO2 is created --> the worse it is for our teeth.

However, during the lab we made u weren't allowed to measure pH. U just observed the one that "bubbled" the most. And still my teacher said, there is ways to explain why soda would create more CO2. Would a correct answer just be, it is more "acidic". Or should u explain it in any other way?

Offline KungKemi

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 08:37:12 AM »
Yes of course. The lower pH --> THe more H^+ --> the more CO2 is created --> the worse it is for our teeth.

However, during the lab we made u weren't allowed to measure pH. U just observed the one that "bubbled" the most. And still my teacher said, there is ways to explain why soda would create more CO2. Would a correct answer just be, it is more "acidic". Or should u explain it in any other way?

Were you allowed to take any quantitative measurements, or only qualitative ones?

EDIT: Even if you weren't able to record any quantitative data (like pH or mass measurements) you can always find heaps of secondary data online. I just looked up the pH of coca cola and this was the first link which came up - https://www.sheltondentistry.com/patient-information/ph-values-common-drinks/ - so it definitely shouldn't be too hard to find pertinent information. Just remember to always link this back to the experiment (any qualitative observations and quantitative data.) Make sure to also relate it to basic tooth chemistry - what causes the dermineralisation of tooth enamel (hydroxyapatite)?

All the best,
KungKemi
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 08:53:01 AM by KungKemi »

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »
Yeah, but preferably without any second data. Since our teacher said, we could explain this with our knowledge in chemistry!

So why is more CO2 in the H2CO3? Is it only beause lower PH in soda?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »
Let's take CaCO3 out from the problem for now.

Of the three solutions - juice, tea and coke - which one releases CO2? Why?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hotshot422

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
Borek I have already answered that question several times.

The protons from the acids in juice and soda will create carbon dioxide and water.

My question is now 100% how can u decide whether juice or soda creates the most CO2.

Logically since soda contains H2CO3 it would also add more CO2 to the solution, but why in earth would it create more CO2 when reacting with CO3^2-

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Borek I have already answered that question several times.

TBH, I am not convinced you did.

The protons from the acids in juice and soda will create carbon dioxide and water.

No, protons from the acids in juice won't produce CO2. H+ :rarrow: CO2 won't work.

My question is now 100% how can u decide whether juice or soda creates the most CO2.

Have you ever opened a bottle of juice?

Have you ever opened a bottle of coke?

Which have produced more CO2?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline KungKemi

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »
Hmm, have you heard of a law known as Henry's Law? It describes that the solubility of a gas in another gas or liquid is inversely proportional to temperature. Essentially, at a lower temperature a gas or liquid becomes more soluble, however, like dissolving a salt, there is a saturation threshold. What can you tell me about limestone? It evolves carbon dioxide upon reaction with an acid, correct? Let's say that all three beverages are at the same temperature and equal amounts of limestone are added to each. What do you think that the bubbling tells us about the initial concentrations of carbon dioxide in the three beverages?

KungKemi

Sponsored Links