April 25, 2024, 04:50:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mimic Ground Water Iron  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Rrold1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mimic Ground Water Iron
« on: April 05, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Let me start off with that I was not a chemistry major so please word any replies with that in mind.

I am testing a filter to remove iron from water where the iron source is ground water. Once oxidized, this is usually seen as brownish (iced tea) colored water and/or fine sediment. I don't have a well nearby with enough iron to provide a suitable test level and don't know what type of iron salt would be the best to mimic this. Hopefully, whatever they type, it is readily available for purchase somewhere. I plan to mix up about 20 gallons, oxidize it with chlorine and test the filter.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Mimic Ground Water Iron
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
The thing is, the iron dissolved in water, at the ppm level isn't really a particular compound.  When dissolved the ions separate, so the iron can be said to be just ... itself, or perhaps a dissolved compound of every counter ion, or at least the soluble ones.

You can prep the iron solution with iron nitrate, which is very soluble, or iron chloride, which is likewise soluble enough.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aespinoza

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Mimic Ground Water Iron
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
You would have to make sure the iron salt is ferrous ( Fe +2) , not the ferric iron, as the oxidation step converts the ferrous to the ferric form and forms colloids or precipitates.

Sponsored Links