March 29, 2024, 09:17:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Formula comparisons  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Uncle Yoyo

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Formula comparisons
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »
OK,
I am an accountant, so forgive me for asking a question that probably can be answered by a first year chemistry student.

I have researched this question on & off for several years, but no one has verified, or discounted my hypothesis.

(Research data located at bottom of Post)

On to the question.
I recently purchased a Water Preserver Concentrate (EPA Reg No. 61428-1)
Sodium Hypochlorite Solution (CAS# 7681-52-9) Concentration 5.25%.
This is to treat 55 gallons of water for storage for up to 5 years. (NaOCI, I think)
This is $14 for 1 oz.

I looked at the Clorox Laundry Bleach ingredients:
Sodium Hypochlorite 007681-52-9, 5.25%
Inert Ingredients (Mostly water I believe) 94.75%
These appear to be identical to me. And at $2 for 1 gallon, ( or $0.015 per oz.) I don’t want to waste my money.

So is my anal retentive accounting mind correct or am I altogether confused (about this anyway)?

Now if I am on the right track, I further noticed that the ingredients for
Clorox ULTRA Bleach are: Sodium Hydroxide <0.2% & Sodium Hypochlorite 007681-52-9, 6.0 -7.35%
It appears that this would work even better since it is more concentrated, however, I’m not sure what the
Sodium Hydroxide will do if anything.

I hope I have asked the question in a way that is easily understandable.
I have included items below from my research.

Thank you for looking. L Sharp

*SNIP* MSDS
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:37:49 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Chemical Formula comparisons
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
On the first sight they look identical, but there is possible problem here. Something that is designed to treat potable water is guaranteed to be not contaminated with things you would not want to drink (say, traces of heavy metals). You can't be sure laundry bleach is free of those.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline XeLa.

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
On the first sight they look identical, but there is possible problem here. Something that is designed to treat potable water is guaranteed to be not contaminated with things you would not want to drink (say, traces of heavy metals). You can't be sure laundry bleach is free of those.

Hmm...I wouldn't think there to be hardly any heavy metals in solution because wouldn't these ions promote the decomposition of hypochlorous acid? Correct me if I'm wrong Borek. The use of bleach as a water purifier isn't too uncommon - it should be a feasible substitute just as long as there aren't any other harmful trace chemicals.

EDIT: If you are to use either or to filter this water to constitute drinking water, then I would recommend filtering the water beforehand.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:29:49 AM by XeLa. »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
Heavy metals were just an example. Besides, as long as the solution is closed in the container decomposition is not a problem. After all commercial bleach is just an equilibrium mixture of OCl-, water, OH-, Cl2 and Cl-. No loss of chlorine, no loss of the oxidizing strength of the solution.

Generally what I am aiming at is that one is (at least in theory) guaranteed to be safe (if used correctly), the other is not. It is like food grade NaCl and industry grade NaCl. Same substance, different purity standards.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:50:54 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links