Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Staining question  (Read 1381 times)

Clinho

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Staining question
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:34:40 PM »

Please recommend a stain suitable for dyeing of polysaccharides. I'm trying to distinguish chitosan from alginate, both bound onto a synthetic poylmer surface, but absolutely no stain binds to chitosan.

So far I tried eosin Y, methylene blue, calcofluor and a couple of fluoresceins. What other stain might be useful?

Clinho

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Staining question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »

Nothing so far, tried also safranin and crystal violet but no results.. Anyone might have a suggestion?

Arkcon

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +507/-143
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »

Ahem ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=chitosan+differential+staining

I'm sorry to do that to you, I truly am, but your question is at the same time, highly specialized and yet, chitosan nanotech is quite the hot topic, so its often mentioned in peer-reviewed literature.  You don't even need access to these documents -- I found 3 or 4 options just on the Google page.  So see if any of them help you.
That all depends on how reasonable we're all willing to be.  I just want my friends back, except for Cartman, you can keep him.

Arkcon

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +507/-143
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 02:17:53 AM »

Also, I've moved this topic to another subforum, and you should use the hint to direct your search.  Alginate is found in seaweed, chitosan is a component of chitin, found in arthropod exoskeletons or terrestrial fungi.  There's not much, if any, biological need for differential staining.
That all depends on how reasonable we're all willing to be.  I just want my friends back, except for Cartman, you can keep him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.