March 29, 2024, 11:06:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Silver precipitate  (Read 2334 times)

Offline badguyinvn

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Silver precipitate
« on: April 11, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Hi, my English is rather bad. If you don't understand what I say, I'm sorry. :'( :'( :'(
I had a problem with my experiment. In a tube, I added 4-5 drops of AgNO3 solution to 4-5 drops of NaCl 5% solution.
Then, I added NH4OH solid until AgCl precipitate was dissolved completely. Lastly, I kept on adding 2 drops of KI 10%. I had thought I would be received a yellow precipitate, which was KI. But the precipitate was white, I couldn't understand why it was. So, anyone helps me, please.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:07:02 PM by badguyinvn »

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Silver precipitate
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
Freshly prepared KI is white, not yellow. It yellows with age due to slow production of elemental iodine when in contact with air.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 09:58:01 AM »
KI or AgI? I think OP means the latter and - if memory serves me well - it already precipitates yellow.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
Ah, well I guess it helps if you read the whole post. :)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links