April 26, 2024, 07:33:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: dipolemoment of p-diacetylbenzene vs p-dicyanobenzene  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Sona

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
dipolemoment of p-diacetylbenzene vs p-dicyanobenzene
« on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:23 AM »
Which one has higher dipole moment between p-diacetylbenzene and p-dicyanobenzene?

Is it the first one? due to C-C bond rotation any dihedral angle between two C=O is not necessarily zero. But due to linearity of C≡N it always lie opposite to each other and cancel out the dipole moment.

Is this the correct explanation? please help.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: dipolemoment of p-diacetylbenzene vs p-dicyanobenzene
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »
Which one has higher dipole moment between p-diacetylbenzene and p-dicyanobenzene?

Is it the first one? due to C-C bond rotation any dihedral angle between two C=O is not necessarily zero. But due to linearity of C≡N it always lie opposite to each other and cancel out the dipole moment.

Is this the correct explanation? please help.

I suppose at some level you will only be able to tell by measuring this. And then rationalisation of the sort you have made of the result (if indeed the dicyano compound does have the lower dipole moment)

Offline Sona

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:06:51 AM »
I searched for the values. I couldn't find the value of p-diacetylbenzene, but found that the dipolemoment of p-diformylbenzene.It is 4.57D and for p-dicyanobenzene it is 0.8D. As the structures of p-diacetylbenzene and p-diformylbenzene, from these values can we comment on the dipole moment comparison of p-diacetylbenzene and p-dicyanobenzene? Then what should be the explanation of the observed dipole moments?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:11:54 AM »
[.] Due to linearity of C≡N it always lie opposite to each other and cancel out the dipole moment.

That was my understanding too, and docs tell that p-diacetylbenzene has zero moment:
http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/NSRDS/nbsnsrds10.pdf on page 33
[This document displays very slowly. SumatraPDF improves that. Jump to page 33.]

Sponsored Links