April 18, 2024, 11:08:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lime Scale Removal  (Read 3918 times)

Offline RodneyB

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lime Scale Removal
« on: April 15, 2017, 04:47:37 AM »
Hi, I have absolutely ZERO chemistry knowledge and experience.

Where I live we use extensively underground water which is very hard and full of lime. All the windows in my home have this white film on them.

I am wanting to make a lime filter and have done some research. I believe a siliphos crystal filter can be put in line. I could not find Siliphos crystals but was told that SHMP (sodium hex ametaphoshate) is the same thing.

When looking for it in a crystal or granular form all I found was it in a powder form, this wont work as an in line filter.  Is there any way to convert the powder to a crystal?

I then found a recommendation to use citric Acid,

If I was to combine citric acid and SHMP  would this make an effective lime scale removal solution. Would it help reduce the time tell the lime scale builds up.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Lime Scale Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
Sorry.  But its difficult to follow you.  Let's try to work together to get to the bottom of your problem, your plan, and how we can help.

Hi, I have absolutely ZERO chemistry knowledge and experience.

Um.  OK. 

Where I live we use extensively underground water

That's a oddly constructed statement.  Maybe you want to say, "We have a well for household water."

which is very hard and full of lime.

A common problem worldwide.  There should be a number of commercial solutions available.

All the windows in my home have this white film on them.

That seems like a non sequitur.  Don't wash your windows with tap water, or something.

I am wanting to make a lime filter and have done some research.

OK.  You could just buy a commercial one, but good work with the research.  Let's see what we can use.

I believe a siliphos crystal filter can be put in line.

I can't find good information on that.  It seems like a commercial product, but the specifics are lacking or dubious.

I could not find Siliphos crystals but was told that SHMP (sodium hex ametaphoshate) is the same thing.

I'm not seeing that they are the same thing.  But I'm not studying Google that rigorously.

When looking for it in a crystal or granular form all I found was it in a powder form, this wont work as an in line filter.  Is there any way to convert the powder to a crystal?

It may be possible.  This is something we may work with together.  It may not work at all however, so we may not bother.

I then found a recommendation to use citric Acid,

A good lime remover yes.  Commercially available, in cleansers, at a reasonable price.  Also purchasable as a food additive (I put it in my Borsht and drinks) but at a premium price.

If I was to combine citric acid and SHMP  would this make an effective lime scale removal solution.

The citric acid in water would help definitely.  I like to drink a quickie lemonade made this way.  You do realize that acid in water tastes like sour, right?   You can't de-lime your household water this way, unless you want to shower, cook, wash your clothes and hands in lemonade.

Would it help reduce the time tell the lime scale builds up.

It would really be simpler to purchase a commercial lime remover.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Even in places where tap water isn't very hard, it leaves traces on windows. The standard answer is to have a liquid just to clean windows. This liquid uses to rely on a volatile alcohol instead of water.

Offline RodneyB

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:24:13 AM »
Thank you thus far for all the help and guidance. I live in Harare Zimbabwe we have a borehole which is 70 meters deep. It is our only source of water. Our situation is not unique as the city council for over a decade has been unable to pipe water to many homes in Zimbabwe.

I am looking at developing basically 2 products for my own use hopefully with chemicals that are locally available. As a sanctioned country we can not buy on eBay, Amazon or any similar sites, therefore we have to be innovate and develop products for our personal use.

I once purchased a Siliphos filter and it worked so well after 6 weeks I needed to replace the crystals and found the company had gone bust and therefore was unable to get the crystals. This is very frustrating.

Bearing this in mind I have tried to learn how to develop a system for my own use, something I can put in line to my water supply to reduce the hardness of the water. Then also something I can wash my windows with.

I have plumbed my home so that the in line chlorination and then lime filter fed into only the home.  The garden was fed directly from the borehole. I didn't feel there was a need to put treated water onto the Garden.

So right now what I am trying to learn and develop is a solution that will reduce the hardness of my water, and a product to wash my house windows with. This I need to try and do with locally available products as commercially available products often are a once off.

Thank you

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
As finding chemicals looks difficult, I'd suggest instead to first decant the well water as much as possible, then to distil it using sunlight. Quick examples:
http://www.scienceforthepeople.net/AguaAut/still.htm
http://all-about-water-filters.com/ultimate-guide-to-solar-water-distillation/
more by googling: distiller, solar, sunlight...

The size of a small table provides drinking water for one person, so build a bit bigger.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Its always going to be expensive to remove dissolve salts from water.  Your commercial water softener will need to be recharged, but the ion exchange media it needs will always be expensive, and the media will be difficult to source.  You can add citric acid to help water remove scale.  You can always not use your water to clean things you don't want scale on.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_softening
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline RodneyB

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 02:49:36 AM »
Thank you for all the advice and Help.

I will use citric Acid as suggested. Is there any benefit in making a paste from the SHMP and applying it to the windows, then washing it off and polishing the windows

I am thinking that if there is a transparent film on the glass it may help prevent future build up.

Sponsored Links