April 25, 2024, 03:16:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What makes Barium Nitrate burn green  (Read 3676 times)

Offline itzswad

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What makes Barium Nitrate burn green
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I understand that Barium Nitrate when burnt will emit a green color. But what makes it burn green.

When manufacturing Barium Nitrate using Barium Carbonate + Nitric Acid, what component makes the Barium salt to burn greener.

Thanks!

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline itzswad

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What makes Barium Nitrate burn green
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
Hi Corribus,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The link provided was informative and partially answered my question.

I still have part of my question un-answered. As a manufacturer, I'm looking to improve the quality of the Barium Nitrate manufactured. Please let me know what parameters in Barium nitrate affects the quality of green color / flame.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What makes Barium Nitrate burn green
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:42:48 PM »
Hi there, itzswad:, its going to be hard to give you the answers you want, because you're not being clear, because you seem to lack the basics.  You should read our  Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  We can't teach you years worth of chemistry one post at a time.  I'm glad Corribus: had a good link for you, and hopefully, it give you a clear enough picture of the green color from barium, or yellow from sodium, or red from strontium.  And others.

Hello Everyone,

I understand that Barium Nitrate when burnt will emit a green color. But what makes it burn green.

Hopefully, you have a good answer for this question by now.

When manufacturing Barium Nitrate using Barium Carbonate + Nitric Acid, what component makes the Barium salt to burn greener.

What does this question mean?  Barium atoms give a green color when excited by a flame.  You react the carbonate with nitric to get barium nitrate.  What components do you have to choose from?

I still have part of my question un-answered. As a manufacturer, I'm looking to improve the quality of the Barium Nitrate manufactured. Please let me know what parameters in Barium nitrate affects the quality of green color / flame.

What parameters do you have, that you think you can change, that could possibly matter?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:29:56 PM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links