April 20, 2024, 06:39:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Separate different metals  (Read 2531 times)

Offline knofan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Separate different metals
« on: April 22, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »
Hi, i am a real newbi on this and i was hopeing for some help on this.

If i have a mass of mostly different metals, Iron, Silver, Gold, Copper and some other ones and there could be some solder in there as well. How would the best way of chemacly separate them look like?

They are just fragments, very small but mixxed together.

Any ideas?

Thank you :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Separate different metals
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
Hello knofan: I'd like to welcome you here to the Chemical Forums.  But I'd like to ask you to trouble yourself to read our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  Briefly, we don't dump complete answers, we try to help you help yourself.

Hi, i am a real newbi on this and i was hopeing for some help on this.

We're glad to help.  Lets get started.

If i have a mass of mostly different metals, Iron, Silver, Gold, Copper

Ok, that's clear, and easy to understand.  We can look up the individual properties, or better still you can, and try to work out a plan.

and some other ones

Other ... what?

and there could be some solder in there as well.

Which is made of, ... what?

I feel like I have to call you out on this, and I'm sorry to make an example of you, but what do you mean?  You've said everything, except "stuff, and junk, and whatever."  You've written a question, in a conversational style, but you wrote it, so you could have been more clear, if you wanted to be.  So why don't you want to be more clear and specific?  We can't answer your question as written.  Did you write it that way, just to say, that we don't know anything.  Because that happens here often.

How would the best way of chemacly separate them look like?

What chemical methods do you know?

They are just fragments, very small but mixxed together.

How'd they get that way.  That could provide separation insights.

Any ideas?

Thank you :)

Lets try to work together to get you an answer you can use.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline knofan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »
Hi Arkcon

Well, i see now that this is not the right forum for me. I will take my questions some where else.

Thank you anyway ;)

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Well it could be the right forum for you. Most of the people who come here are students looking for help with coursework - either homework problems or comprehension of difficult course material. We definitely want them to show some work because it's for their benefit - if we just handed out homework solutions it wouldn't help them learn the material. The rest of our visitors tend to be hobbyists or else just normal people who have encountered some issue in their daily life that may require chemical knowledge to find a solution. In this case it is still helpful for use to ask questions so we make sure we are addressing what is really your problem. Hobbyists and other people who are not trained in chemical sciences often ask one thing when they mean another.

It's not 100% clear which of these kind of people you are, but your question was a bit vague and I think Arkcon was just trying to get a better understanding of what exactly you were asking and why you were asking it. This helps us to help you. Ideally you may also learn something that you can apply to future problems without having to come here and ask for help.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
It looks like one recycling attempt more of electronics scrap. So the solder is 63% Sn 37% Pb, being presently replaced by 3% Ag, a bit Cu, the rest Sn.

Depending on the previous operations, worthless epoxy+fiberglass may still be present, and sometimes tantalum which might - or not - be worth recycling.

Sponsored Links