April 26, 2024, 07:05:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: azeotropic distillation  (Read 3328 times)

Offline ramana143

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
azeotropic distillation
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:50 PM »
Hi, i am working as  junior engineer. Here my problem was solvent distillation. my solvents was THF+n-hexane+n-heptane+ water. so any one suggest me the right method to extract the THF from this mixture.

Offline ramana143

Using Sulphruic Acid for purity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »
In a mixture containing TetraHydroFuran + Isopropyl Acetate + MeOH separating the Isopropyl Acetate from the mixture using  Sulphuric Acid. Is this method suitable for this process or there is any other method applicable please suggest me.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Using Sulphruic Acid for purity
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 06:23:26 AM »
Greetings, ramana143:, I'd like to welcome you to the chemical forums.  I can see that you're new here, and I'd like to remind you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  We like to see a little bit of your work, before we help you.

In a mixture containing TetraHydroFuran + Isopropyl Acetate + MeOH separating the Isopropyl Acetate from the mixture using  Sulphuric Acid.

This is a similar mixture to this other questions of yours:

http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=91210.msg326175#msg326175
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=91209.msg326174#msg326174
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=91198.msg326140#msg326140

Why not post everything in one posting, so we can work together, with what you know, and what you need help with?

Addressing this topic specifically:

separating the Isopropyl Acetate from the mixture using  Sulphuric Acid.

What reaction do you suspect happens, and what reactions do you know?  I'm not familiar with this one, but I will look it up.  Esters like isopropyl acetete are pretty resistant to weak acid, but strong sulfuric will char complex organic compounds like this one.  Which reaction do you want?  What do you expect to happen?  Where did you hear of this method of remediation?

Is this method suitable for this process or there is any other method applicable please suggest me.

Did you just make it up?  We can't help you if you're just going to pick random reagents and ask, "What about this one?" repeatedly.  That's no way for anyone to learn
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline ramana143

Re: azeotropic distillation
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:59:49 AM »
The Gas Chromatography of the input sample is THF(57.75%)+n-hexane(32.05%)+n-heptane(1.78%) remaining is the water content. After the distillation of the input sample the results were THF(83.2%)+n-heptane(6.6%)+n-hexane(1.9%). We used the DMSO as entrainer. Can anyone suggest the suitable method for THF recovery with purity(>90%) ?

Offline ramana143

Re: Using Sulphruic Acid for purity
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 03:16:30 AM »
The process is as follows in the lab scale experiment:
1)Taken IPAc(32.05%) + THF(66.05%) + MeOH(0.4%) input sample and added it to the H2SO4
2)Separation of the layers
3)Taken H2O+NaCl solution added to the sample and separate the Organic Layer
4)Added H2SO4 dropwise to NaCl solution in another flask to form HCl fumes
5)The generated fumes are made to contact with the above Organic Layer (some salt solution gets formed)
6)Added water to the above O.L and separated the O.L
7)Again adding water to the O.L and separating the O.L
8)The separated water layer is mixed with CaSO4 and the formed O.L is separated.

The above mentioned method is whehter compatible with the input sample?

Offline ramana143

ISOPROPYL ACETATE DISTILLATION
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 12:10:49 AM »
Hi, here my solvent mixture was Isopropyl Acetate+ THF+ Methanol+ Water. I would like to be separate Isopropyl Acetate from this mixture so anyone suggest me the right method to extract isopropyl acetate.

Sponsored Links