March 28, 2024, 09:20:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about purchasing Technetium metal  (Read 9946 times)

Offline sslaptnhablhat

• Mole Snacks: +2/-6
Question about purchasing Technetium metal
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
Sorry for being a noob at chemistry, but I have a question, if Technetium-99 is produced as bulk waste from nuclear reactors, then why is it so diffucult to buy in contrast to other, more dangerous radioisotopes like U-238?
EDIT Sorry for incorrect category, didn't think before posting.
EDIT 2 Made title more relevant.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Question about purchasing Technetium metal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
238U isn't especially dangerous. You can carry several kg in you bare hands and nothing happens.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:34:12 AM »
238U isn't especially dangerous. You can carry several kg in you bare hands and nothing happens.
I know that, I was just using it as an example, considering Technetium isn't very dangerous either.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
The wikipedia page pretty much sums this up -- what we have here is market forces.  There's little use for this metal industrially, only a few places make it, and yet, can't even get rid of it.  So there's no excess for someone to buy, package, and make accessible to the hobbyist.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
[...] Technetium isn't very dangerous either.

99Tc (we don't speak about 99mTc) has a half-life 20 000 times shorter than 238U, that's not the same. And while 99Tc is a simple beta emitter, electrons braking in the surroundings emit X rays which are dangerous, much more so than the rather harmless 238U alpha emitter.

Then, one should check how pure 99Tc can be, as a waste of fission reactions. If mixed with 0.1% of an other nuclide with 50 years half-life, the resulting radioactivity is 5 times stronger, and most fission products emit gammas. Purifying much one nuclide from the horribly radioactive mix of fission products costs a shiny penny.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I think I understand it better now.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 11:57:34 PM »
On a side-note, Tc98 has a half-life of 6,600,000 years, but is still incredibly difficult to obtain, and the element in question appears to be extremely "underrated", as in you always hear/see people talking about how cool and/or interesting other elements like Uranium, Osmium, Caesium etc. are but never Technetium, as if people in general don't care about it in the slightest, despite it being somewhat interesting, at least not the most boring, element. About the second point, what gives?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:29 AM »
99Tc is produced in vast amounts by uranium fission at reactors, 98Tc is not.
http://nucleardata.nuclear.lu.se/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=430098

May I ask what the point of collecting radioactive materials is? 1.8MeV beta-minus do emit gammas per bremsstrahlung, and 6M years is a significant radioactivity.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
99Tc is produced in vast amounts by uranium fission at reactors, 98Tc is not.
http://nucleardata.nuclear.lu.se/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=430098

May I ask what the point of collecting radioactive materials is? 1.8MeV beta-minus do emit gammas per bremsstrahlung, and 6M years is a significant radioactivity.
Thanks for the info, but I have to admit most of it comes from the fact that not a single person I've seen on the internet, let alone element distributor / collector hobbyist has ever actually owned the element, it seems like it'd be worth having a small sample of just because it's one of the most difficult elements to obtain for collections.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 06:00:08 AM »
If you're interested in the element, which doesn't occur naturally, then the easiest isotope is 99Tc since nuclear reactors produce it as a waste.

Besides the dangers to you, a difficulty is that all radioactive materials are controlled and regulated because they're dangerous by nature and because they can serve to assemble a dirty bomb. And also, because this one results from the nuclear energy which is controlled down to the waste. This suffices to explain why the element is uncommon among collectors.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:02:05 AM »
If you're interested in the element, which doesn't occur naturally, then the easiest isotope is 99Tc since nuclear reactors produce it as a waste.

Besides the dangers to you, a difficulty is that all radioactive materials are controlled and regulated because they're dangerous by nature and because they can serve to assemble a dirty bomb. And also, because this one results from the nuclear energy which is controlled down to the waste. This suffices to explain why the element is uncommon among collectors.
Thanks again for the info.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

Another question about Technetium
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
Because my old thread is moreorless dead, and because this probably deserves its' own thread anyway, I'll go ahead and ask this here. Anyway, it seems most people can agree that Technetium is exceedingly difficult to obtain for an element collector, and so far, after months of searching, I have no leads. Does anyone know of anywhere I can actually purchase the metal?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
Please don't create a new thread, to ask the exact same question.  This old thread is a fine one -- you ask a question, you get multiple answers, everyone learns something new for the future.  You may not like the answers you've gotten so far, but unless you can specifically say what's wrong with these answers, no one will learn anything.

FWIW:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Element_collecting

(Additionally, unsuccessful attempts have occasionally been made by private individuals to collect technetium, because it has a long half-life of several million years, is not used in nuclear weapons like the longer-lived plutonium, and decays to clean stability.)

I have no idea what this Wikipedia author is trying to say.  If technetium decays slowly, to something non-radioactive, why can't people have a tiny amount in a thick glass vial?

Checking our forums, our forum regular woelen: has a web page with his collection.  http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/compounds/index2.html  And, dang, even he doesn't have technetium.  Dang.  This is a conspiracy, I tells ya.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 11:27:37 AM »
99Tc being a product of uranium fission, it is extracted only at reprocessing plants for spent fuel rods, whatever the downstream commercial path is, if any. "Someone" at these plants would know which company sells the material extracted by the plant.

The reprocessing plants are very few: Sellafield, La Hague, Tokaimura, definitely some in Russia, probably in the US and China. India, Pakistan and North Korea have some sort of plant to extract plutonium and tritium from the spent rods and build bombs. By the way, the primary purpose of all these plants (except maybe Tokaimura) was historically to feed bombs and has only diversified a bit over time (make MOX fuel, extract maybe the residual 235U, prepare the long-time storage). Good luck.

First difficulty: if you call La Hague and tell "I want to buy some of your stuff" you can be 100% certain to get trouble by the secret police.

Second difficulty: if the market for 99Tc is too small, the plant won't separate it for you, and even if it's already available, it may be too radioactive because traces of other nuclides with a much shorter half-life pollute it.

Offline sslaptnhablhat

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies, and sorry for creating a new topic, but I swear, be it in a week or a decade from now, I'll obtain a sample of Technetium, even if it kills me.

Sponsored Links