April 26, 2024, 05:33:37 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Confused about wording in a question [deltaG and exothermicity]  (Read 1646 times)

Offline scientific

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question is
The equation ΔG = ΔH - TΔS tells us that an exothermic reaction will be associated with which of the following?
1. Negative ΔH
2. Positive ΔH
3. More disordered positive ΔS
4. A spontaneous reaction
5. More ordered negative ΔS

I thought it was just 1, but my answer guide says it is associated with 1, 3 and 4. However, I thought that exothermicity was determined by *only* ΔH.

I know the line of thinking is--if ΔH is negative, then I understand the ΔG spontaneous at low temp or always depending on ΔS. But I think the question is worded oddly... is there a better way to rephrase it to help me understand? Is there some guideline I'm missing? Or is there like some "general" rule that exothermic reactions "generally" spontaneous or something??

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Confused about wording in a question [deltaG and exothermicity]
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
I am guessing the question means exergonic, not exothermic. Strictly speaking an exothermic process/reaction refers only to the enthalpy change, not the Gibbs energy change.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links