March 28, 2024, 06:28:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isotope effects  (Read 4347 times)

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
Isotope effects
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
Is there a way to tell if a reaction is endothermic or exothermic through isotope effects?

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
Re: Isotope effects
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:14:37 AM »
By 'isotope effects' do you mean by comparing the rates of a reaction with two isotopologues of the substrate? If so, then no, I don't think so. Kinetic isotope effects relate only to activation energy of the reaction (ie kinetics), and aren't causally linked to the thermodynamics of the reaction (although there may be some correlation due to Curtin-Hammett-type considerations).

But I could be wrong!

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »
I don't think so.  Are you thinking about uncatalyzed reactions or enzyme-catalyzed reactions?

Offline phth

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:24:37 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I meant equilibrium isotope effects in the context of enzymatic mechanisms.  The curtain hammett postulation is what I was getting at.  I am just not sure how great of a magnitude the effects may be. 

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
I know just enough to be dangerous.  Let me list out some of the names in the field of enzymatic isotope effects that come to mind:  W. Wallace Cleland, Dexter Northrop, Richard Schowen, Judith Klinman, and Paul F. Cook.  Cook and Cleland wrote a book, and Northrop has written at least one review article. 

Much of the work on enzymes focuses on kinetic isotope effects.  The only equilibrium isotope effect that I have heard much about is the fractionation factor.

Offline phth

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:26:48 PM »
I know just enough to be dangerous.  Let me list out some of the names in the field of enzymatic isotope effects that come to mind:  W. Wallace Cleland, Dexter Northrop, Richard Schowen, Judith Klinman, and Paul F. Cook.  Cook and Cleland wrote a book, and Northrop has written at least one review article. 

Much of the work on enzymes focuses on kinetic isotope effects.  The only equilibrium isotope effect that I have heard much about is the fractionation factor.

Thanks.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 03:49:29 PM »
There are also some interesting effects when an isotope is used to perturb an established equilibrium.  I seem to recall a Chapter in Methods in Enzymology coauthored by Cleland on this subject.  I cannot recall the details.

Sponsored Links