April 16, 2024, 05:41:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction kinetics of acid nitric 54 wt.% and calcium carbonate solution  (Read 2422 times)

Offline alphashane009

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Dear all,

Currently I am working on a project related to calcium nitrate plant. I am given the task to calculate the CO2 emissions as the result of the reaction between nitric acid 54wt.% and calcium carbonate. I believe I need the reaction kinetics for this chemical reaction in order to compute the CO2 emission.

Could anyone advise which handbooks that I can refer to for the reaction kinetics?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Alphashane

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
I would start with a balanced chemical equation, and the ideal gas laws.  The gas laws are approximations, and not really accurate for the quantities from a production facility.  But its a good way to start.  Why not try it out calculating this WA, with say a kilo of reactants and see what we get.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
If all the carbonate shall be converted to nitrate, then the amount (or rate) of emitted CO2 depends on the amount (or rate) of carbonate, as computed through a balanced equation. Kinetics influences the necessary reactor size.

In reactions with a solid (your calcium carbonate is a solid, isn't it?), the reaction kinetics may be ill-defined and depend essentially on grain size and on stirring. In such a case, data wouldn't apply, and is probably unavailable.

Sponsored Links