April 20, 2024, 09:41:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Research Proposal  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
Research Proposal
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
I am looking for some very blunt, realistic advice.

Now that I have passed my PhD, I want to do a post doc, but I have no publications from the PhD. I can't really publish much from the thesis. There are things that are publishable, but due to the fall out with my supervisors, I am unwilling to work with them any longer. They have effectively scuppered my scientific career. I cannot get decent references from them. Long story short, the university can give me a HR type reference and are still investigating my complaint against my supervisors.

However, I have written a research proposal. During the PhD I was not allowed to pursue a specific topic, and I believe it has merit. I want to approach my old supervisor from my old institution. Last year I contacted him to ask if he had any post-doc positions, and he said he didn't and he didn't have any funding. If I were to go to him again, this time, with a specific project in mind, how likely would it be for him to apply for funding on my behalf? Or would I have to apply for funding myself? Since I am no longer at a university I can't apply for any grants.

I have looked at a lot of funding bodies in the UK and from what I can see, I have to be at a univeristy before I can apply for funding. In an ideal world, I would apply for funding with the research idea, go to my old super and say "I have funding and a research topic, can I come here?" but I do not know if this is in any way realistic.

If I can't do this, my scientific career is over and I am doomed to be a medical writer forever. I like the job, but I miss the lab so, so much. I don't see myself in my current role for more than 6 months. My heart truly is stuck in research. I love it too much to give up on it.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: Research Proposal
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
What is the project?  Is it of any industrial use? Could you approach relevant companies and ask them to fund the project in exchange for the info you find from the research?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »
The project would involve the design and synthesis of novel nucleosides. During my PhD I identified a class of compounds that had not been synthesised before, and these compounds have the potential to be used in anti-cancer and/or anti-viral applications. The compounds are hypothesised to be more stable under certain conditions that would make them useful to explore in the areas I have identified. The hypothesis is based on work done in the late 80's/early 90's that has shown that my idea is tenable.

There is definitely industrial application with this. I was industrially sponsored during my PhD, and I approached my industrial sponsor with this again, but they are no longer exploring nucleosides as those projects have ended when my PhD ended. They have changed focus now to other areas. Either that, or they do not want to work with me anymore as they know my supervisors and I have fallen out big time, and they want to maintain a relationship with my supervisor.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »
The synthesis of novel nucleosides is well known, as well as converting them into protected phosphoramidites, for use in oligonucleotide synthesizers.  Any of a number of companies do this commercially -- Glen Research, TriLink, Bioneer, and those are just the ones I can find on Google.  If you can find someone interested in your expertise, its be someplace like those.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:19:24 AM »
The synthesis of novel nucleosides is well known, as well as converting them into protected phosphoramidites, for use in oligonucleotide synthesizers.  Any of a number of companies do this commercially -- Glen Research, TriLink, Bioneer, and those are just the ones I can find on Google.  If you can find someone interested in your expertise, its be someplace like those.

Arkcon, thanks for this information! I will be acting on this!

Sponsored Links