April 23, 2024, 07:50:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BPA toxins  (Read 3098 times)

Offline mwei555

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BPA toxins
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:59:27 AM »
Will BPA toxins decrease the nutritional value of food when the food is microwaved in a plastic bag containing BPA chemicals?

Let's say that food is put into a plastic bag and that plastic bag contains BPA toxins, then the food is microwaved in the plastic bag. Will the BPA toxins decrease the nutritional value of food? Let's give an example: before microwaving, the food had 20% DV for iron. After microwaving, the food only had 10% DV for iron. Did the BPA toxins cause the nutritional value to decrease or did the food lose its nutrients because of the heat of the microwave and not because of the toxins?

The plastic bag is made from low density polyethylene.

Lets take the same situation and pretend that the bag also contains these chemicals: DEHA and dioxins
Will these toxins also decrease the nutritional value of food when the food is microwaved or do these toxins have no effect on the nutritional value?

Please give answer based on research that has been done in the past.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: BPA toxins
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Greetings, mwei555:, I can see that you're new, and I'd like to welcome you to the Chemical Forums.  I'd like to remind you to read our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  We want to see your work solving this problem.

You've posted a number of statements, some quite controversial, but many without peer-reviewed source.  Then you tack on at the end:

Please give answer based on research that has been done in the past.

Where did you get your other information?  Were you given this assignment by a course?  If so, what work have you done to source your claims?  If you haven't done any such work, what you're doing is posting crack-pottery, and that's not allowed by the forum rules. 

The internet has thousands of blogs posting random, un-sourced opinions as fact on these particular topics.  If you need that sort of information for validation, they're easy to find.

Did you look up any peer-reviewed sources regarding BPA?  Did you try any government websites -- FDA, USDA for information on BPA?  And if not, why not?

Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:50:44 AM »
For a starting point, BPA is not a toxin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxin
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 04:50:44 AM »
Do you expect bisphenol A in polyethylene?

And: have you evaluated the amount of bisphenol A that some polymers may release, and compared it with the daily value for iron of usual food?

Offline mwei555

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Plastic grocery bags
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 04:57:36 AM »
What chemicals are found in plastic bags?

Lets say that the plastic bag is not manufactured according to FDA regulations and contains many chemicals. What are all the chemicals that can be found in the plastic bag? I know that BPA is one of them.

Also, during the industrial manufacturing of the plastic bag, all manner of toxic chemicals are released. What toxic chemicals are released?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Plastic grocery bags
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 04:16:10 AM »
Please read the forum rules.

What have you found so far?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Plastic grocery bags
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
Already the second bizarre query from mwei555
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=91339.0
Is he seeking arguments for a trial?

Anyway, mwei555, I feel your question is too vague to be answerable. The first "chemical" is the polymer itself, the list of other compounds depend on what you're interested in. The second compound by mass is water in most polymers, but it's not always indicated because many users don't care. And before someone claimed that BPA has a heath effect even in minute quantity, the answer would have been "BPA is negligible".

Then, not only does it depend on the polymer and what process the first company used to manufacture the granules, it also depends on how the other company transformed the granules into a bag.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 06:14:43 AM »
mwei555:, I've merged your two posts, and locked your third, so everyone can see -- you're not following our rules.  We're offering help, but we're not here to validate fringe theories.  Try to follow our advice, and post for us the next step.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links