April 26, 2024, 06:42:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is this the Correct Structural Formula? {for tattoo}  (Read 5755 times)

NoFx

Is this the Correct Structural Formula? {for tattoo}
« on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:31 AM »
Hi all! New here, about to be starting my chemistry courses in the fall, so figured I'd get a jump on joining a community, because I'm sure I'll want/need that support once it's time!

Anyway, as my "intro" I have a probably random question...and I do apologize if this is the wrong forum, I wasn't sure what section this would fall under, but I'm trying to find the 100% accurate structural formula for Adrenaline?

Extremely long story short, my girlfriend and I were the victims of an attempted murder while vacationing out of state back during Thanksgiving 2016. I was shot 4 times in the midsection, barely surviving (after 28days in the hospital, 5 major surgeries, and months of physical therapy so far!)

Adrenaline basically kept me alive in the first hour of the ordeal, and so that combined with my love of all things "adrenaline-based" as hobbies, as well as love of science, had me decide that my first tattoo should be the structural formula for adrenaline/epinephrine. However, when searching images of it, I've seen 3-4 variations, so I'm wondering if all are correct, or if there is only one truely correct form?

I'm on my phone right now so not sure how to add photos, but tomorrow afternoon I'll hop on my computer and I can/will add a few examples of what I'm seeing, just wanted to start the thread now to since I just received the registration email and probably would forget tomorrow.

Obviously since it will be permenantly on my body I want to make sure it's the accurate formula...

Thanks in advance,
Jason
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:19:09 AM by Arkcon »

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Is this the Correct Structural Formula?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
The variations you have seen are probably different ways to depict the same molecule:

CNC[C@@H](C1=CC(=C(C=C1)O)O)O
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

NoFx

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »
The variations you have seen are probably different ways to depict the same molecule:

CNC[C@@H](C1=CC(=C(C=C1)O)O)O

Thanks for your reply! I got so busy I forgot about making this thread and now its a few days away haha!

I was thinking/hoping they were just variations on ways to show the same thing, but I wanted to make sure the one or 2 I was am specifically looking at are in fact adrenaline and not something different.  I remember the basic structural formulas for the super easy stuff, but I can't remember enough of the rules yet to know if a bigger chain like this is correct. 

The chemical formula is C9H13NO3, and the two variations I've seen (I've seen more but these two are the most aesthetically pleasing in terms of being a permanent part of me) are:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l188ys2PNM1qzcjlqo1_400.gif

and

http://www.mpbio.com/images/product-images/molecular-structure/02151064.png

(forgive me, the "insert picture" button doesn't seem to be working for me?)

If both are correct then it is just a matter of picking which one best fits the location its going, as I like the look of both of those depictions.

I'm confused as to why some have the triangle part connecting that one OH to the chain, where everything else is connected with a standard line, and one some representations I've seen that triangle used in that one OH position, others its just a line like the rest?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:29:15 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
I attached the stick images for you.  Stick images make just fine tattoos.  The dashed triangle in Dan's image is how chemist denote the 3-D structure of the molecule.  If most of the molecule is envisioned as "flat" and embedded on the paper (or screen or your skin,) the that OH is supposed to be deeper in.  A black solid triangle would be the functional group "sticking up out."  You can use those in your tattoo.  Or work with the artist to make another perspective trick.  Or stylize it any way you'd like.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links