March 28, 2024, 01:22:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Preliminary method to investigate the existence of anion-π interaction?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline vikram

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I have a host-guest solution in an aprotic solvent medium. I suspect that there is a probability of existence of anion- π interaction during host-guest recognition process. What is the simple and best approach to investigate this phenomena if at all it is existing? (I have read several literature where they solve crystal structure, do some computational study and all. I didn't obtain any crystal of host-guest complex.) What may be the best way to approach towards solving this problem.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
I guess it depends on your particular system, and whether other forces are at play. You should be able to measure a binding constant, then ideally you would make a control compound for which the anion-pi interactions wouldn't form, but all other interactions remain the same to a first approximation, and compare the binding constants - whether this is feasible for your host/guest combo is another question.

You can look at NMR chemical shift changes in the aromatic ring, but it is extremely difficult to establish whether any such changes are due to a bonding interaction or just a proximity effect.

There's a decent review of methods here: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlepdf/2016/CC/C5CC09072E

but like you say, much of the work is through X-ray.

In short - good luck.

Offline vikram

Your answer and link to the article is helpful.

Whatever NMR chemical shift prediction you suggested, same approach I followed at first. As there are two aromatic rings whose proton shift falls around very close to each other (around 8 ppm) it was very difficult to predict.

Let me wait for others reply too:)

Thank you:)

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Really high field NMR (600+ MHz) could make it easier to watch such interactions and be sure of a change.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
You could try UV-vis? If there's some interaction with the pi system you'd probably expect a change in the chromophore so there's a decent chance you could monitor binding that way.

Offline vikram

Really high field NMR (600+ MHz) could make it easier to watch such interactions and be sure of a change.

Can you please mention in ppm scale?

Offline vikram

You could try UV-vis? If there's some interaction with the pi system you'd probably expect a change in the chromophore so there's a decent chance you could monitor binding that way.

I have performed UV-Vis titration. But by the data obtained how can we visualize anion-π interaction?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
I have no idea what the ppm difference will be, considering I have no idea what the molecule is, and such things are tough to predict anyways. I just know that high field NMRs will resolve peaks better, so small shifts in crowded areas can be observed more clearly.

Offline vikram

I have no idea what the ppm difference will be, considering I have no idea what the molecule is, and such things are tough to predict anyways. I just know that high field NMRs will resolve peaks better, so small shifts in crowded areas can be observed more clearly.

No not like that. By your answer I thought that there is a certain chemical shift above which we can observe anion-π interaction more commonly. Is it so?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
No clue.

Sponsored Links