March 28, 2024, 06:36:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BGH Concentration in Milk  (Read 2893 times)

Offline kevin18016

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BGH Concentration in Milk
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:35:48 AM »
I start the biochemistry series next year and am having trouble finding information on the internet.  I am trying to develop a method to determine the concentration of the growth hormone r-GBH in milk.  I always try and post attempts and ideas but i'm lost in the dark.  Can someone please toss me a flashlight?  Thank you. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:07:43 AM by kevin18016 »

Offline kevin18016

Re: BGH Concentration in Milk
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 03:07:26 AM »
So I found a link between BGH and IGF-1. People have developed a method for determining the concentration of IGF-1 so I was wondering if I can use the concentration of IGF-1 in cows treated with BGH and compare it to cows that are untreated in order to somehow determine the concentration of BGH. 

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
I try to limit how often I do this, but ...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rbGBH+in+milk+determination

Now, see what I did -- I used a correct abbreviation, and I added one search term for what you want to do, now under scholarly articles, there's a link to the Journal of Endocrinology, and from the abstract, I can see there's an analytical method:  http://joe.endocrinology-journals.org/content/138/1/91.short

So what's the question that you still have?   You've picked a topic that's a least a little bit controversial, so I have to wonder if maybe you might just want to argue about it.  That's why I feel like I have to do silly Google tricks with you.  Maybe you don't have access to an HPLC/GC and aren't yet at the radio-labeled tracer level.  But you have to be more clear about what the problem is, and what you need to do.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 06:09:49 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kevin18016

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
Thank you very much!  No, I don't have access to those things. I'm a sophmore and don't get the good stuff till a little further down the line.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:09:24 AM »
OK.  The short answer is that it won't be possible.  But why should you be satisfied with my short answer?  Lets work through this together, and see what will and won't work, and why.

What are the properties of the analyate you're looking for.  What properties can you detect, with what analytical properties that you know?

Crappy example time.  Separate and identify potassium chloride and sodium chloride, by water extraction and color of solution.  That's dumb.  They're both water soluble to give clear solutions.   That won't work at all.  But we can somewhat separate them by exploiting their different solubility in different solvents and at different temperatures, and they do give different colors in flame tests.

So lets see what you can plan.  The instructor will likely accept a well thought out plan, even if you don't have access to an instrument or skill.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links