April 19, 2024, 11:41:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to change the sweet taste in ethylene glycol ?  (Read 4153 times)

jones_bond

how to change the sweet taste in ethylene glycol ?
« on: May 28, 2017, 03:55:39 AM »
How to change sweet taste to pungent taste in ethylene glycol ?
or
how to remove sweet taste in ethylene glycol ?

Without changing it properties...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 05:35:17 AM by jones_bond »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: how to change the sweet taste in ethylene glycol ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:04:16 AM »
How to change sweet taste to pungent taste in ethylene glycol ? or how to remove sweet taste in ethylene glycol ?

As you've described it, you can't because ...

Without changing it properties...

Its taste is one of its properties.  You can change it into something else, with very different properties, or mask its properties with another flavoring.  These are the fundamentals of how the universe works.  You wouldn't ask for lead that was just like gold, but cheaper to make.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
To prevent accidental ingestion of ethylene glycol by children and animals, a bitterant is typically added.

Such as denatonium.

As Arkcon mentioned, this doesn't actually change the flavor of the antifreeze - it just masks it with something far worse. Sort of the opposite of what my mom used to do to get me to eat my vegetables. :)

Aside: a fun fact I just learned answering this question. Denatonium is added to Nintendo Switch cartridges to prevent kids from eating them. Is that for real??

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/nintendo-switch-cartridges-taste-terrible
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 07:26:26 AM »
One alternative to ethylene glycol is propylene glycol. It has the same advantages (not properties) for many common uses and is not a poison (in reasonable amounts).

Sometimes, polyethylene glycols too can replace ethylene glycol, and the tetramer (tetraethylene glycol) and heavier are nontoxic (in reasonable amounts too).

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »
One alternative to ethylene glycol is propylene glycol.

We replaced all of the EG in our formulation with PG....  it has a very slightly different interaction with some of the thickening agents we use, but a tweak of the levels of these rheology modifiers has bought everything back to normal without any hiccups. It looks the same, costs about the same and pretty much does the same job in the products we manufacture.

Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links