March 29, 2024, 09:15:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to modify the surface tension of "oils"  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Marik

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to modify the surface tension of "oils"
« on: May 31, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »
Hello everyone,

Basically, I have a bit of a problem. I'm working on a project and have to develop an edible ink. The ink base is butter and wax (it's a hot melt - it gets heated and is applied as a liquid). The thing is, this mix has a surface tension that's a bit too high for the application. I've done plenty of research on the matter, but didn't come across anything that would help me lower the surface tension of an oil (with air).
emulsifiers and surfactants can help reduce the surface tension of water in contact with either oil or air. A thin layer of oil on the surface of water can also help reduce the surface tension, but I didn't find any way to reduce the surface tension of water in contact with air.
Thanks in advance

Yan

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: How to modify the surface tension of "oils"
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11:05:04 AM »
will a very small amount of alcohol do it? It will certainly reduce the viscosity and may effect the surface tension too - I don't know.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »
Can you act on the solids too? If your worry is that the oil should wet a solid but doesn't, some surface treatment of the solids can help as well.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:45:32 AM »
Sounds like a good idea Enthalpy - you'll be getting fat on the snacks I keep feeding you. ;-)

Enthalpy - do you think some alcohol in the mix with the wax would help? I know they mix some solvents in with waxes to make polishes and stuff..  I was wondering if it would help the system wet better?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links