April 25, 2024, 12:10:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: the latest idea  (Read 8439 times)

chemicalLindsay

the latest idea
« on: August 23, 2004, 05:43:56 AM »
I was wondering when thinking about standard electrode potential if  a strong acid solution could be poured into a beaker then have one inert electrode in the solution.Then connect the inert electrode with a conducting wire to a reasonably reactive metal.I wonder if the reactive metal would oxidise to reduce the hydronium ions of the acid.Thus would produce hydrogen gas at the inert electrode.Will this happen and I am yet to try this.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:the latest idea
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:28:09 PM »
You need a flow of charge to get it to work.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 12:59:00 AM »
How would u balance the charges in your suggested system?

If the hydrogen ions are dishcarged and the inert electrode remains unchanged throughout the process, then there will be a build-up of residual negative charges (from the acid derived anion) and build-up of positive charges in the block of more reactive metal.

You may immerse the more reactive metal block into the solution, together with the connecting wire. In this way, the less reactive metal block will still be chemically shielded from the acid solution at the same, faciliatata the flow of charges.

You may try cathodic protection. By imposing a small current flow into the metal block, the chemical potential of the metal block is changed such that it is less reactive consequently. By adjusting the current flow, the metal block can be made to be inert to the acidic agent.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 02:40:52 AM »
How about this setup?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

chemicalLindsay

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 12:58:56 AM »
oh okay,Thanks for that.I was wondering how I would balance the charges myself.Just using my setup would hydrogen be discharged?
Thanks

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 04:43:11 AM »
dont think so, unless both metal blocks are immersed in the same solution. you could try cathodic protection by using impressed current..

Sponsored Links