April 25, 2024, 05:50:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help with these questions on chemical equilibrium.  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Confused1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need help with these questions on chemical equilibrium.
« on: June 04, 2017, 08:19:43 PM »

• Question 1.
    Cobalt(II) Chloride reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid as shown in the equation:

Co(H2O)62+(aq)  +  4Cl-(aq)  ⇌  CoCl42-(aq)  +  6H2O(l)

Pink                                    Blue

State and explain any observations if:

More water is added to the solution

Sodium chloride solution is added to the reaction

Silver(l) nitrate solution is added

Note: The only one I could possibly answer with this is the effect of adding more water. I would say that adding more water would move the equilibrium towards the left hand side of the equation, but the fact that the entire thing is in solution makes me unsure. The others I've no idea how to answer.

Question 2. I've attached a picture of the questions below, because when copying and pasting them the formatting is messed up.

I know the first two of these (a and b) should be easy, I understand how to calculate the Kc for them, I just have no idea how to find the units for Kc. The last one I am clueless on.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I need help with these questions on chemical equilibrium.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:38:11 AM »
1. Think how the concentration of Cl- changes.

2. Write the formula for each Kc. What are units of C?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: I need help with these questions on chemical equilibrium.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:59 AM »
I understand how to calculate the Kc for them, I just have no idea how to find the units for Kc.
I rather think that if you have no idea how to find out the units, you don't understand how to calculate Kc, you're just blindly plugging numbers into a formula you don't understand. If you can't work out the units, you can't calculate Kc, because Kc is a quantity with units, not just a number (apart from those cases where it's dimensionless, but even then you ought to understand why).
The last one I am clueless on
Have you heard of an ICE table? If not, google it.

Sponsored Links