March 29, 2024, 07:22:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to prepare blood sample for gel electrophoresis?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Shakedown St.

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to prepare blood sample for gel electrophoresis?
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
Hello Chemical Forums! I am looking to perform gel electrophoresis on blood, and will be coomassie staining.

I have viewed tutorials on how to prepare samples and the gel, but where would I mix the blood? Or, what must I do with the blood first before it can be used?

I am used to mixing BSA with SDS and DTT, help is much appreciated.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: How to prepare blood sample for gel electrophoresis?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »
Hi there, Shakedown St.:, I can see you're new, and I want to welcome you to the Chemical forums.  Your question is clear, but it seems to me you're missing some fundamentals, and I want to ask you some questions, to get you thinking, so you learn.  That's what we do here at the Chemical Forums, its detailed in the Forum Rules{click}.

Hello Chemical Forums! I am looking to perform gel electrophoresis

This is clear and easy to understand.

and will be coomassie staining.

OK, a protein gel.  Got it.

on blood,

And *swish* swing and a miss.  That's not a protein sample for electrophoresis.  You're missing many steps here.

I have viewed tutorials on how to prepare samples and the gel, but where would I mix the blood? Or, what must I do with the blood first before it can be used?

Um.  OK, here's an analogy.  I hope to have a steak dinner tonight.  I have a cast iron skillet, and the very finest steak sauce.  And a living cow.  Now what -- will the horns and tail get in the way?  Her head is bigger than the pan, where can I get a pan big enough to fit?

See what I'm, trying to say?  What is it that you're really trying to do?

I am used to mixing BSA with SDS and DTT, help is much appreciated.

Why did you do this mixing?  What do you then do with it?  The answers to these questions help us gauge your skill level.  What is the difference between BSA and blood?  List all of them, you will need to address each difference before you can start.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
Re: How to prepare blood sample for gel electrophoresis?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »
Are you interested in the plasma proteins or in the proteins found within the red blood cell itself?

Sponsored Links