April 19, 2024, 11:32:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Food {calorimetry}  (Read 3062 times)

Offline IsaacGh

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Food {calorimetry}
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:25:49 AM »
Hello, new to this forum! I will need to perform food colourimetry for our high school prac, so basically placing a food sample in a crucible under a tripod stand with a beaker of water above it. And then lighting the food so that it burns till it is fully combust. Question is, is there any way (I'm sure there is) to minimise heat loss to the surroundings? I'm stuck with this method as we don't have access to a bomb colorimeter :(

Alternatively, is there any way to estimate the heat loss to the air?

Hope someone can help me, I've been cracking my head trying to think of viable methods. Appreciate any ideas, Thanks!!

{MOD Edit -- change title}
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:38:38 PM by Arkcon »

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: Food colourimetry
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »
Firstly, are you referring to calorimetry? Colorimetry is the analytical method to determine concentration of coloured solutions.

Secondly, how will you measure the heat released from the food sample? I assume that you want to measure the temperature rise of water and use it to calculate the change in energy. Then you need to think of ways to prevent the heat loss from evaporation of water and etc..
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline IsaacGh

Re: Food calorimetry
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »
Hi, yep typo, I was refering to calorimetry. And yes, i plan to intend to use the heat capacity of water to measure the heat released from the food. Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Food colourimetry
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »
OK.  A Styrofoam coffee cup, often doubled up, with an added Styrofoam lid makes a fairly good  calorimeter.  The losses can be determined, and its suitable for mild reactions, like melting ice or the heat of reaction for iron and copper sulfate.  Styrofoam won't let you burn, a foodstuff, to completion.  Just review the diagram -- how will you make these parts, without actually making a bomb calorimeter?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline IsaacGh

Re: Food {calorimetry}
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
Appreciate the reply! I've thought about the styrofoam cup method, but question is where do you hold the water in that case? Especially if there's a lid on it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
For smaller, less heat intensive reactions, the thermometer is in the reaction inside the double coffee cups.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline IsaacGh

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:37:40 AM »
Forgive my 'blurness' so does that mean u measure the temperature of air in the cup?  ???

Sponsored Links