March 28, 2024, 09:20:38 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making of Diesel from Hydro Carbon  (Read 2784 times)

Offline acidburn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Making of Diesel from Hydro Carbon
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:58:05 AM »
Dear professionals

I am working on a industrial project of making Diesel from Hydrocarbon. Can someone tell me the process of doing this commercially.

Looking forward for your response.

AcidBurn

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Making of Diesel from Hydro Carbon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:44:13 PM »
Welcome, acidburn!

"Hydrocarbon" is too vague! If you start from Diesel oil, which is essentially a hydrocarbon, then making Diesel oil of it is trivial. So what is your starting material? Bigger molecules than Diesel oil, or smaller? With multiple bonds from the beginning?

Then, cost. Diesel oil is badly cheap, with some 80% of the consumer price being taxes, depending on the country. Do you plan to be as cheap? How cheap is your feedstock? How huge shall your production be?

For instance, I'd be happy if the C3+C4 fractions of oil and gas were transformed into useful compounds. Presently they're burnt at the well because they sell for less money than their transport would cost - which would only need a boat with pressure vessels.

Many groups also conduct research on obtaining car fuels from used tyres. Hevea sap (the precursor of latex and natural rubber) gives similar molecules, but probably more expensive than oil.

Converting coal into liquid fuels has been done too, mainly in times of shortage. Wood and charcoal too. Turpentine is a potential source as well. But in normal times, oil is just too cheap.

Palm oil is nicely cheap. Not a hydrocarbon, but already transformed into bio-Diesel. Almost the same with cane alcohol.

Processes exist for all these transformations, some known for decades, others being still investigated. It's not one single process for all sources. Also expect a complicated plant with many recycling loops.

Offline acidburn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Making of Diesel from Hydro Carbon
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 06:50:46 AM »
Dear Enthalpy
Thanks for your helpful answer, i need to discuss further , i would appreciate if you could pass me you e e mail ID so that i can discuss further
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:27:12 AM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links