April 16, 2024, 01:59:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need help with making solutions with different pHs  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Neil_AUS

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need help with making solutions with different pHs
« on: June 17, 2017, 10:45:13 PM »
Hey there,

I'm an Australian student, I'm calling all the chemistry gurus to help me out. (I'm in high school here).

So basically, we need a bit of chem to do this practical in bio, which we're getting assessed on.

I need 5 test tubes with pHs: 3, 5, 7, 10.

So test tube 7 = distilled water.

My method needs to be something like add 1 drop of X into test tube 1, check pH, keep adding drop until its pH is 3.

Repeat for test tube 2 and 4 to get their pH to 5 and 10 respectively.

Anyone know these 2 solutions? To increase the pH and decrease it?

Please give me 2 simple solutions, cheers. I'm just a student studying bio in Aust, and I have no clue about chemistry. Just need help so I don't fail tomorrow.

Thanks,

Neil

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I need help with making solutions with different pHs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:24:22 AM »
Anyone know these 2 solutions? To increase the pH and decrease it?

Adding acid always lowers pH, adding base always make it higher.

But - as the pH scale is logarithmic - it is not an easy task to change the pH to a given value just by adding acid/base, especially when the pH values are quite distant, as in your case.

Please give me 2 simple solutions, cheers. I'm just a student studying bio in Aust, and I have no clue about chemistry.

I am afraid it won't work this way. While preparing these solutions is not very complicated, the best approach calls for use of buffer solutions, and that in turn requires a bit of knowledge and understanding of the underlying chemistry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline XeLa.

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: I need help with making solutions with different pHs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 04:02:09 AM »
Yeah, like Borak said, preparation of acids/bases of the like you're after does require a bit of extra knowledge. See if you can look up information on things such as pKa or the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, or ask your school's chemistry teacher how you would make a buffered solution with a certain pH.

I hope this helps,
KungKemi

Sponsored Links