March 28, 2024, 06:49:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I need URGENT help with this chemisty question.  (Read 5225 times)

Offline Kody H

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I need URGENT help with this chemisty question.
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:01:20 PM »
Long story short, my girlfriend has the summer to do a thing for her school. She was told this afternoon that she doesn't have all summer and in fact has till 10 or so minutes to get it done so we have been hammering it out and we are stumped on this question. PLEASE help, if she doesn't get this done, she doesn't graduate. We need all the help we can get.

A compound of formula C3H8O exists as two isomers, A and B. With a catalyst and KMnO4 (which is a strong oxidizing agent), compound A forms another compound, C of formula C3H6O, while B forms compound D of formula C3H6O2. A simple litmus test reveals that compound D is a weak acid. Give the IUPAC names AND draw the structures of the four compounds. (Do not worry about the drawing part, we just need the information.)

Explain in detail how to synthesize 1-chloropropanone from 1-chloropropane. Include all structural diagrams and IUPAC names of reactants and products to illustrate your answer. (Again don't worry about illustrations.)

Offline Nobby

• Mole Snacks: +12/-16
  • Vena lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: I need URGENT help with this chemisty question.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
First write down all possibilities of a structure of C3H8O. I think then you will get the idea what products follow.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
Long story short, my girlfriend has the summer to do a thing for her school. She was told this afternoon that she doesn't have all summer and in fact has till 10 or so minutes to get it done so we have been hammering it out and we are stumped on this question. PLEASE help, if she doesn't get this done, she doesn't graduate. We need all the help we can get.

Greetings, Kody H:, I can see that you're new, and I'd like to welcome you to the Chemical Forums.  I'd like to remind you to read our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  This entire first paragraph adds nothing to your question, and is a violation of the rules.  We wrote those rules because your expectation is simply ridiculous -- there's no guarantee one of our experts will even see it in 10 minutes.  Much less write a useful answer. 

A compound of formula C3H8O exists as two isomers, A and B. With a catalyst and KMnO4 (which is a strong oxidizing agent), compound A forms another compound, C of formula C3H6O, while B forms compound D of formula C3H6O2. A simple litmus test reveals that compound D is a weak acid. Give the IUPAC names AND draw the structures of the four compounds. (Do not worry about the drawing part, we just need the information.)

You've been given a hint to start, that's what we do here.

Explain in detail how to synthesize 1-chloropropanone from 1-chloropropane. Include all structural diagrams and IUPAC names of reactants and products to illustrate your answer. (Again don't worry about illustrations.)

OK, this is a separate question.  Are there only two, or are there more in this graduation assignment?  Either way, some work has to be done by the student.  We don't dump answers on this forum.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:48:33 AM »
This sets a new bar for ridiculous homework help requests

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »
Awesome.  An excellent example of how grownups are not supposed to behave.

*Topic Locked*

But thanks for playing everyone.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:10:42 AM »
I don't think it's necessary worth locking, just advising that OP is unlikely to be back with a follow-up....

Sponsored Links