April 23, 2024, 06:26:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: β-hydroxy aldehyde and Grignard reactive  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Mimic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
β-hydroxy aldehyde and Grignard reactive
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
What are the reaction products between β-hydroxy aldehyde and Grignard reactive? Two products should be formed, one of which (A) is the predominant one

Thanks in advance

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: β-hydroxy aldehyde and Grignard reactive
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:48:21 PM »
Greetings, Mimic:, you've been here a little while, and I'd like to welcome you to the Chemical Forums.  You seem to have missed a notification to read our Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to these rules as a condition of signing up for our forum, and they apply to you, whether you agree with them or not, or even if you're unaware of them.  We want to see your work, in the first posting, that shows you have some knowledge -- incomplete 'tho it may be, or have some idea of where you're stuck.

Now then, the textbook explanation, aldehydes and Grignards -- what happens?  We'll afterward have to consider the effect of the b-hydroxy, and the effect, if any, of the phenyl.  But first principles, please.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Mimic

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »
Yes, I know about nucleophilic substitution of the carbonyl group: it should form the predominant product, right? But what about the other product? Never read about Grignard and alcool or benzenic ring

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »
What do you think happens when a grignard reagent encounters a labile proton like on an alcohol?

Sponsored Links