March 28, 2024, 03:06:45 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Trying to identify 2 products  (Read 2101 times)

Offline BrettAU

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Trying to identify 2 products
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
Hi There,

I currently use a pvc treating agent and a strong bonding agent for replacing the inner mask foam on 100's of paintball masks.

The product the supplier sends us comes from over seas and they have sent me the MSDS sheets but i have no knowledge on chemicals or anything in the chemistry industry.

I was hoping someone may be able to identify a common product i can get in Australia with the details below from the MSDS supplied to me.

Im thinking the bonding agent may be some type of vinyl adhesive or similar.

#1 PU PVC Treating Agent
TOLUENE 4%
ACETONE 4%
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) 55%
CYCLOHEXANONE 24%
METHYL CHLORIDE 11%
PU RESINS 2%

#2 Strong Bond
TOLUENE 55%
CLEANING NAPHTHA 14%
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) 5%
CR COPOLYMER 19%
RESINS 7%

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Trying to identify 2 products
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:35 AM »
They gladly sent you the MSDS, to keep you safe.  But they didn't give you enough information to replicate their product.  That was obviously going to be the case, and I don't see how you expected anything different.   However, let's try to work with what we have:

They list a bunch of solvents, and their percentages.  They don't mind doing this, because its hardly a trade secret.  In fact, even though you've been told -- MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) 55%, its now up to you to get it right:  55%, not 54%, or 55.67%, accurately, all the time.  So they're not afraid of you putting them out of business.   Even if it doesn't really matter for functionality, you can't claim the same quality that they claim, so you can't sell it.  I'm just putting things in perspective here  -- what's possible and why.

The glue itself is some sort of plastic, made of two types of resin, and a co-polymer.  Those are trade secrets.  No one will share that information with you.  Once they had it, they'd make it and start charging you for it.

We can only guess what this plastic is.  The solvents dissolve the resins, and soften the foam, and the plastic of the mask, without ruining them.  (or at least, ruining them only slightly, given this is a part that doesn't show.)  After the solvent evaporates, the co-polymer and plastic form a continuous plastic with the mask and foam.

Its not very likely you'll be able to find this at the local hardware store, but you probably don't expect it to be that easy..  However, if you know exactly what plastic the foam is made of, and what plastic the mask is made of, we might be able to find out what plastic they have in common, and maybe find a distributor who'll sell you some.

I don't want to completely discourage you, since you have a pretty clear application, and I can see how moderate cash outlay could work to your benefit.  But this has the potential of rapidly becoming a snipe hunt.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:25:49 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links