April 18, 2024, 11:37:48 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Thermite Lab Idea's / Suggestions  (Read 3101 times)

Offline jacksmart2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Thermite Lab Idea's / Suggestions
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
Hello, chemists!

Wanted to ask a question as to whether anyone has any idea's on a lab I can do with Thermite that would produce quantitative results.
Ideally, I would use different metal oxides and measure something based on those. It would also, ideally, be on a larger scale.
Currently, I am leaning towards an enthalpy change where the thermite products are immediately doused in water and the change in temp of the water is measured, but I wanted to know if anyone else had some better ideas. I have access to pretty much anything I would need, 5 lb of aluminum powder included.

Thank You  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Thermite Lab Idea's / Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
where the thermite products are immediately doused in water and the change in temp of the water is measured,

How will you measure the temperature of dumped liquid?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:59 AM »
I agree with Arkon. You would need to know the exact volume of water and measure the exact temperature rise to get any meaningful calorific data.

I'd try some very small scale burns of mixtures in the mg range and do some proper calorimetry if it isn't too hot for the combustion vessel. Thermite is vigorous.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline jacksmart2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »
where the thermite products are immediately doused in water and the change in temp of the water is measured,

How will you measure the temperature of dumped liquid?
I was going to insert a digital thermometer in the water. The results may not be very accurate, but as long as I am able to clearly indicate and explain what causes the inaccuracies, all will be good. Thanks for the response mate, really appreciate it! If you have any better ideas of doing this, please let me know :).
I agree with Arkon. You would need to know the exact volume of water and measure the exact temperature rise to get any meaningful calorific data.

I'd try some very small scale burns of mixtures in the mg range and do some proper calorimetry if it isn't too hot for the combustion vessel. Thermite is vigorous.
Thank you so much for the response, it really helps! Just wanted to clarify, as I've haven't had much of a hands-on experience with a calorimeter. Would I ignite the small thermite sample in a container that itself is suspended in a larger container filled with water, then measure the change in temperature of the water to eventually determine the enthalpy change? Also, when working with such a small amount of thermite, would you think that magnesium would still be the best way to ignite it? Thanks again man!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:56:01 AM by jacksmart2000 »

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
It has been a long time since I watched a pile of thermite burn. Our teacher at school made a small pile of the mixture and did indeed use a magnesium ribbon as the fuse. They also used a very small pinch of KMnO4 around where the fuse meets the thermite (on top of the cone of thermite powder) to get the reaction started.

As for the calorimetry, you've got the right idea for a rough expt...  again, at school there was a famous expt. where we burnt a peanut under a cup of water and measured the temp rise to get the rough calorific value of the nut...  you could do the same with a small pile of thermite. The actual value will be higher than what you measure due to heat losses to the air, cup and surroundings. A proper calorimeter looses less heat (due to the set up being enclosed and fully lagged) and is easier to calibrate, but for small tests for fun to get a rough idea then you can use a cup and water under the combustion.

Have fun / stay safe!

P.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links