April 17, 2024, 11:49:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Citric Acid reaction equations  (Read 5992 times)

Offline deezy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Citric Acid reaction equations
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »
Can someone help me identify the chemical reaction equations for the following, all are aqueous solutions, I think the metals will take place of 2 hydrogen's, but not sure what happens to the Sulfate the hydrogen gas.  Any help is much appreciated.

ZnSO4 (Zinc Sulfate monohydrate) +  C6H8O7  :rarrow: ?

MnSO4 (Manganese Sulfate monohydrate) +  C6H8O7  :rarrow: ?

CuSO4 (Copper sulfate pentahydrate) +  C6H8O7  :rarrow: ?

FeSO4 (Iron sulfate heptahydrate) +  C6H8O7 + Aqua Ammonia  :rarrow: ?

Offline chenbeier

• Mole Snacks: +102/-22
Re: Citric Acid reaction equations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:52 AM »
Check the behavior of Citric acid and citrates as they working as  complex agents.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
@OP, Why do you think that hydrogen gas will be evolved?

Offline deezy

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »
I was mistaken when I wrote that. I was thinking of how H2 is typically produced when an acid and metal are reacted, but these are sulfates not metals.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »
Good.  Now.  You have a molecular acid, soluble in water.  You have soluble sulfate salts, in water.  What do you get?

What do you get when you mix potassium chloride and sodium nitrate, as an example?

Note:  citrate forms complexes, as was mentioned before.  But why is that relevant to what you're doing?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline deezy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
Would you get potassium nitrate and sodium chloride?  I understand Citric's form complexs with the metals as the metal sulfate dissociates. And I think the sulfates act as a weak base and grab a hydrogen from a water molecule but not 100'percent sure.

This is revelant in forming complexed fertilizer solutions. I am asking so I can understand the correct balanced equation of theses reactions.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
Would you get potassium nitrate and sodium chloride?

No you would not.  Try it and see.  If you tried it, how would you know?  Everything, reactants and products, is soluble in water.  You wouldn't be able to find them, in water, they'd exist as ions.

I understand Citric's form complexs with the metals

Yes.

as the metal sulfate dissociates.

No.  I mean. yes.  i mean, what?  Your statement here is irrelevant, to the statement before.  So, its not correct.  Or is correct in parts, but not strung together.  This comes up, from time to time, when people just string buzzwords together.  The only helpful thing we can say is, "No" or "Try again."

And I think the sulfates act as a weak base and grab a hydrogen from a water molecule but not 100'percent sure.

Kindly provide a literate source for this statement.  It think its wrong, or, like the one before, made up of truths that are non-sequitors.

This is revelant in forming complexed fertilizer solutions.

It is?  Dang.  I wouldn't have pulled that from the context to this point.

I am asking so I can understand the correct balanced equation of theses reactions.

Interesting.  OK.  If a reaction doesn't happen, then it can't be balanced.  Also, there is no reaction, when you dissolve something, in something else.

But lets work with this.  You're forming citrate complexes.  What is their structure?  How are they formed, from ions, in solution?  What is the structure of a complex in general, and citrate complexes in particular?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordination_complex
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline deezy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »
Ok, thanks for the help and reference to coordination complexing.  I've studied to become more familiar with what is happening in these instances.

Yes, forming citrate complexes. 

Excluding the Iron for now which needs Aqua Ammonia to complete the reaction, For the Zinc, Manganese and Copper the following is done:

First the sulfates below are dissolved in water.  I believe these all form a metal aquo complex with an octahedral complex and the a general stoichiometry [M(H2O)n]z+. 

Zinc aquo complex for example would be [Zn(H2O)6]2+

Once these sulfates are dissolved in water Citric Acid is introduced.

Questions:
Is the complex a combination of water ligands and citric chelators?  Are 2 of the 6 binding sites held by the citric and the other 4 held by the water ligand?  I'm not sure how citric acid forms it's chelation as I couldn't find much online.

What is happening to the Sulfate Ions?  I've read they are a weak base and can pull an H from water to form HSO4- and OH-.  Not sure if that is correct or if they are just staying in solution?

Thanks again for any input

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
Citric acid is one of so called "polydentate ligands" - in a way you can think about it as if it was working as several ligands at once (so yes, it can replace several water molecules).

Your question about SO42- reaction with water suggests you have never studied chemical equilibrium (in this particular case: acid/base equilibrium). That will be a problem, as all complexation reactions involved have to be treated as such (in a way all reactions should, but in some cases we can assume reactions go to completion - not here though).

But yes, SO42- is a weak Bronsted base and will to some extent react with water.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links