March 28, 2024, 10:04:22 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility and Partition Coefficients  (Read 3576 times)

Offline TRIENEMYBEST

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility and Partition Coefficients
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »
I am planning an experiment on partition coefficients using a separatory funnel. If I try to calculate the partition coefficient of ethanoic acid in water and heptane, will ethanoic acid be more soluble in water or heptane? / Would the molecules of ethanoic acid go more in the water or the heptane?

I would think that it would be more soluble in water as ethanoic acid and water are both polar however I think that ethanoic acid can also dissolve in non-polar solvents, so i'm very confused.

Also how could temperature affect the partition coefficient? I imagine the solubility of ethanoic acid would increase but are there any other effects?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Solubility and Partition Coefficients
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:11 AM »
I would think that it would be more soluble in water as ethanoic acid and water are both polar however I think that ethanoic acid can also dissolve in non-polar solvents, so i'm very confused.

Pretty much all liquids are miscible to some extent. I agree that it's more likely to dissolve in water than alkane though - can you try (e.g vinegar, water, methylated spirits or similar)

Also how could temperature affect the partition coefficient? I imagine the solubility of ethanoic acid would increase but are there any other effects?

Most liquids increase solubility with increasing temperature, but what you may need to consider is whether the relative solubility changes (so that you can effect a better [or worse] separation).

Offline TRIENEMYBEST

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
Thank you for replying!
Why would it be more likely to dissolve water then an alkene though? And how could could i find out if the relative solubility changes ?

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
You can increase the Solubility of ethanoic acid in water by adding some NaOH.It will convert  ethanoic acid to Sodium ethanoate which is an ionic Compound.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 12:38:32 PM »
And how could could i find out if the relative solubility changes ?

Are heptane and water more or less mutually miscible?

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:39:50 PM »
You can increase the Solubility of ethanoic acid in water by adding some NaOH.It will convert  ethanoic acid to Sodium ethanoate which is an ionic Compound.

True, but as this is an equilibrium between ethanoic acid(aq)  ::equil:: ethanoic acid(heptane) won't this be disturbed?

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
And how could could i find out if the relative solubility changes ?

Are heptane and water more or less mutually miscible?
heptane and water are not soluble in water ...water is polar and heptane is non polar.

True, but as this is an equilibrium between ethanoic acid(aq)  ::equil:: ethanoic acid(heptane) won't this be disturbed?

Once ethanoic acid is removed as sodium ethanoate in water equilibrium will keep shifting more in the direction of ethanoic acid .

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:13:33 AM »
Once ethanoic acid is removed as sodium ethanoate in water equilibrium will keep shifting more in the direction of ethanoic acid .

Not false, but possibly veering off-topic a little?

Sponsored Links