March 28, 2024, 06:23:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SuperGlue, acetone and plastics reactions. Looking for advice.  (Read 5979 times)

Offline erosennin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, so the situation might be unusual for this forum perhaps, but I am looking for any information I can get. Here it is: I've been fixing my laptop lately and since it is an older one, a plastic hinge in the screen's casing broke off, so I decided to use SuperGlue, to fix it. Despite being extremely careful, as it almost always is with this glue, I somehow managed, to get it on top of the casing (that I don't care about) and onto the screen itself which is very bad, the layer was thin enough to almost instantly harden and by the time I got nail polish remover with acetone it dried out completly.

Now the glue is almost impenetrable and I'm scared that too much acetone or too long exposure will break the surface of the screen as well or that it will do that and the glue will persist despite. So I am looking for an answer on reactivness of said acetone/remover or something like a debonder on plastics that are used in layers on LCD laptop screens. How safe is it to you use it, or what other way can I get rid of the glue spot?

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: SuperGlue, acetone and plastics reactions. Looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
Acetone melts plastic. Id just leave it.

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
Just a thought  -  super glue is quite brittle when dry   -  can you try to 'chip' it off gently with the corner of your thumb nail?  I reckon it might scrape off.

How did you get on? Were you successful or did you just leave it?
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Acetone melts plastic. Id just leave it.

Being pedantic - it depends on the plastic....  and it dissolves it rather than melts it. ;-)
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links