April 18, 2024, 01:12:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why is this nucleophile strong  (Read 2679 times)

Offline fahraynk

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why is this nucleophile strong
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:13 PM »
A book is telling me $$CH_3CH_2OH$$ is a weak nucleophile and $$CH_3CH_2SH$$ is a strong nucleophile.
Is there any way for me to know this out without memorizing it? Is it because sulfur is bigger? If so... what would be the atomic number I could cut off the "this molecule is bigger" rule.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Why is this nucleophile strong
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
Strong and weak nucleophicility, like ionic / covalent bonding, is not a yes / no concept. Especially when you're trying to get ideas of synthetic approaches, a mixture of compounds will often be formed. Having said that, because oxygen is generally more electronegative than sulfur, it is unlikely to want to share electrons (which is a basic idea behind nucleophilic attack). So ethaneselenol is likely to be an even stronger nucleophile, for instance.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 01:46:52 PM »

Offline fahraynk

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Thanks both of you.
Wikipedia was good, "In general, sulfur is very nucleophilic because of its large size, which makes it readily polarizable, and its lone pairs of electrons are readily accessible."

So I guess below oxygen in that column everything would be pretty much a good nucleophile due to size/polarizability even if they are not negatively charged.
Thanks, I am less stressed out now.

Offline Paul2lyfe

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:58:39 AM »
The thiol is more nucleophilic than alcohol due to a variety of reasons electronegativity, polarizability, ionization energy, atomic size etc.

Nucleophilicty has to do with ability to donate a pair of electrons. To donate means it must be able to make it available for bonding.

The bond between O and H is stronger than S and H due to oxygen being very electronegative and hence will not make a pair of electrons readily available for bond formation like SH.

Sponsored Links