April 20, 2024, 01:40:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Essay on electrophilic aromatic substitution  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Luni2017

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Essay on electrophilic aromatic substitution
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:26:08 PM »
hello, I have to write an essay of about 1500words where I briefly discuss the features of the mechanistic pathway of Benzene reacting via electrophilic aromatic substitution. but I'm confused about what to write in the introduction and conclusion, I thought of writing about the structure of benzene, its delocalized electrons, what makes it an aromatic compound, and briefly talking about the electrophilic aromatic substitution in general, but afterward, I started thinking it's off topic...
For the Conclusion, I don't know what it could be, I don't see any conclusion for this specific topic:s
for the content should I include the most common electrophilic aromatic substitution reactions (Halogenation, Nitration etc... ?!
I know what I'm asking is subjective, but I'm really confused! thank you!

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Essay on electrophilic aromatic substitution
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
Why is it off topic?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 11:50:52 AM »
You can discuss the mechanism (sigma complex, pi complex), some common reactions (friedel crafts, halogenation, nitration..), efects of directing groups. Show some schemes and pictures and you are fine.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:20:39 AM »
In the introduction you can briefly mention about the importance of aromaticity .meaning of electrophile and meaning of and why benzene can undergo electrophilic substitution reactions.
In the main part ---you can discuss mechanism of reaction on the ring ,how different electrophiles can be generated and how electron donating and withdrawing  groups can effect the position of substitution.How electron withdrawing/electron donating  groups can make the ring activated and deactivated?

Conclusion part should be the brief summary  of what you have discussed in the main part of the essay.

Sponsored Links