April 18, 2024, 03:51:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rotovaps, descriptions, boiling points and lots of questions.  (Read 2582 times)

Offline BigJohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Rotovaps, descriptions, boiling points and lots of questions.
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »
I've invested heavily in some entry level equipment and have some questions about that equipment and some of the processes.

I have this exact rotary evaporator but in the 10L version.
http://ledab.ca/30l-rotary-evaporator-turnkey-setup/

My questions about this are what some of the ports are for.
On the bμmp trap are an injection port, and on the top is another port, what would this port be for?

On the collection flask are also two ports on the top.. not entirely sure what those would be fore either.

About the condensers, would it be best to hook those up together in series, or should they be separately hooked up to the chiller in parallel?

I also have the J-Kem DVR 200 for use with the rotovap, and will be boiling out Ethanol, and possibly 99% isopropyl alcohol but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find any kind of chart that will tell me at what vacuum levels/temps those alcohols will boil off at.

I also have some questions about short path distillation using a unit very similar to this one but not sure if I can ask about that here as it would involve some discussion about the substance being distilled.

So I'm not completely in the dark with all of this, but definitely have some to learn to I'm hoping you kind folks here can help pass some of that knowledge on to me.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:10:14 PM by Arkcon »

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
Re: Rotovaps, descriptions, boiling points and lots of questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
Are you making controlled substances?

Offline BigJohnny

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Rotovaps, descriptions, boiling points and lots of questions.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 04:49:12 PM »
Are you making controlled substances?

no, I'm not making controlled substances, all legal, I just want to stay within the guidelines of the forum, as I'm more interested in the processes and equipment.

Sponsored Links