March 28, 2024, 11:47:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to test verify if liquid is Benzyl Alcohol  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Colinitrogen

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to test verify if liquid is Benzyl Alcohol
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
What is the test procedure for testing if an unknown liquid is Benzyl Alcohol?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: How to test verify if liquid is Benzyl Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
What tools do you have access to? NMR or GC-MS are the two simplest ones I can think of. Both would take about 15 minutes with very easy sample prep.

Offline Colinitrogen

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
What tools do you have access to? NMR or GC-MS are the two simplest ones I can think of. Both would take about 15 minutes with very easy sample prep.

I'm not sure yet.

Could you link me to some of the equipment you'd have in mind?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:54:25 PM »
Could you provide some more context? Why do you think you have benzyl alcohol? Is it from work? What type of workplace? Is there anyone around who has any chemistry background?

Offline Colinitrogen

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:11:12 AM »
Could you provide some more context? Why do you think you have benzyl alcohol? Is it from work? What type of workplace? Is there anyone around who has any chemistry background?

I'm thinking about setting up a solvent redistribution business and would want to verify the solvents being supplied for reliability. From here I would hope to expect to expand on to other solvents and oils..

To answer your question specifically, not from a workplace, it's a sample. No one has a chemistry background in my immediate circle but there are friends with backgrounds in chemistry and medicine, but i'd rather not hassle them and the last time I asked a question about something they had no idea.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
A portable UV detector won't give you the information you need for various solvent samples.  A portable Raman might.  But you have to know how to use this instrument, its not a point and click.

You're not yest clear enough with us on what your plan is, what scale, what scope and what expertise you have.

For cGMP or ISO 9001:Six Sigma compliance, you need an expert and validated processes in place.   On the other hand, if you're supplying reagents you've purchased in bulk for hobbyists, you can forego testing, just let your supplier know that you want a CofA, and you expect to hold them to it -- that's just being a businessperson, a handshake and a promise for and from everyone involved.

See, when my car needs repair, I take it to the dealer or someone certified in auto repair, not someone holding a book open on there lap going "OK, this bolt here ..." But, when I buy alcohol at the hardware store for cleaning a part, I take their word for it.  Where are you on this continuum?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Irlanur

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-4
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
I'm thinking about setting up a solvent redistribution business

Depending on the size, that's hopefully not going to work without a person with some knowledge in Chemistry.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
I think the gold standard here would be GC-MS. It gives both identity and purity, and should be able to identify what any impurities are. However, it does require significant experience to set up and use one. If you're starting a business, and want to be on the up and up, a fact of life is that you are going to have to pay for expertise or resort to cutting corners. I think a smart bachelors in chemistry grad could tackle this job with time and internet access. Or a technician with an associates and a solid analytical chemistry background.

Sponsored Links