Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the ideal flask for doing reactions in?  (Read 369 times)

FlaskBreaker

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • I'm not fond of organic chemistry.
What is the ideal flask for doing reactions in?
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »

I'm starting a small home lab. Nothing fancy. I would like to know what type of flask is best for chemical reactions. I will be doing reactions that will be hot and have some flames. What would be the most optimized for this? I wouldn't want my username to become reality!  :P Thanks in advance.
My favorite element group are the halogens.
My favorite element is iodine.

Arkcon

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +490/-136
Re: What is the ideal flask for doing reactions in?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:41:54 AM »

This is a pretty important question, important enough, that its better suited here, in Chemical Education as opposed to anywhere else on our forum, even more suited than Citizen Chemist.  Let's get started.

What flasks and other glassware do you know the names of?  What differentiates one type of flask from another?  Can you guess what's better for one sort of reaction versus another.  If you start with a guess, we're glad to help you with hints if you're wrong, so that you learn.

I hope you don't mind me answering your question with more questions, but that's what we do here on the Chemical Forums.  We give hints, to help you learn.  You're better off that way.  We've detailed that in the Forum Rules{click}.
That all depends on how reasonable we're all willing to be.  I just want my friends back, except for Cartman, you can keep him.

FlaskBreaker

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »

This is a pretty important question, important enough, that its better suited here, in Chemical Education as opposed to anywhere else on our forum, even more suited than Citizen Chemist.  Let's get started.

What flasks and other glassware do you know the names of?  What differentiates one type of flask from another?  Can you guess what's better for one sort of reaction versus another.  If you start with a guess, we're glad to help you with hints if you're wrong, so that you learn.

I hope you don't mind me answering your question with more questions, but that's what we do here on the Chemical Forums.  We give hints, to help you learn.  You're better off that way.  We've detailed that in the Forum Rules{click}.

As far as glassware, I know of graduated cylinders, erlenmeyer/conical flasks, beakers, fleaker (beaker/flask mix) flasks, test tubes, boiling flasks, sidearm flasks, funnels, and distillation flasks/glassware.

My guess is that an erlenmeyer flask would be the best for reactions as they have short necks yet large bodies. They also seem like they would shield against a number of reactions. I already know that test tubes are good for reactions, however they hold such a small amount.

Arkcon

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +490/-136
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:14:16 AM »

Good.  There's also the round bottomed flask for reactions, sometimes flattened at the bottom to make a Florence flask.  The Erlenmeyer flask is best for hand use, the sloping sides are best for swirling, you'll want a mechanical stirrer for other flasks.
That all depends on how reasonable we're all willing to be.  I just want my friends back, except for Cartman, you can keep him.

FlaskBreaker

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:48:35 AM »

Great! Thanks for the *delete me*
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 23 queries.