April 18, 2024, 02:11:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Conjugate acids and bases  (Read 2239 times)

Offline saratan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Conjugate acids and bases
« on: August 20, 2017, 05:02:10 AM »

HPO4 2- cannot be the conjugate base of H3PO4 correct? I think the book messed up because the conjugate base of H3PO4 is H2PO4-. If I am wrong please explain why

Thanks,
Jay Sanc

Offline saratan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentrations of conjugate acid-base pairs in titrations.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:14:51 AM »

The 9CB,1CA means that there is 90 percent conjugate base and 10 percent conjucate acid.

My question here is hat at the midpoint it says that there is 50 percent CB and 50 percent CA, doesnt the concentrations of the CA and CB become equal at the half equivilance point? When it comes to titrations between a CA and it's CB what is does midpoint, half equivilance point, equivilance point mean? And what does it mean in terms of concentration of a CA-CB pair?

Thanks,
Jay Sanc

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Conjugate acids and bases
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:20:02 AM »
Hi saratan:, I hope you don't mind my merging your two topics, they seem to cover similar topics, and it would likely help everyone to have all your questions and help in one thread.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: Conjugate acids and bases
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
With respect to your first question, I think that this is a typographical error in the book.  As someone who has written his fair share of homework problems, I can say that typos creep in all the time.

Sponsored Links