March 29, 2024, 04:35:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Retaking Organic Chemistry (Resource)  (Read 9100 times)

Offline KillerWhale2020

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Retaking Organic Chemistry (Resource)
« on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:24 AM »
Hi Guys,

Name is Christian, and I'm currently about to start the Fall Semester next week August 28. I'm taking Calculus 2, Organic Chemistry 1, Physics 1 and Greek archaeology. I'm retaking Organic Chemistry 1 and I was wondering what Textbook beside my required textbook which is Organic Chemistry by John McMurry 9th edition will you recommend be taken as a resource. This will be my first time living on campus so I can't take all my organic chemistry books I got. I currently have 6 Organic Chemistry textbooks. I love collecting textbooks whenever there are free to pick up. Usually, Professors give away old organic chemistry and sometimes new books. I will be taking Organic Chemistry as a Second Language and another book you would recommend.

Name:
Organic Chemistry 1st Edition by David Klein w/solution book
Organic Chemistry 7th Edition or 4th Edition by L.G. Wade, JR (only have 7th edition solution book)
Organic Chemistry 3rd Edition by Maitland Jones, Jr. W/Solution book
Organic Chemistry 4th Edition  by Seyhan Ege

Thank you,
Christian

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Retaking Organic Chemistry (Resource)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
You can take your best helper book, or two if you think you need to.  You can also have one posted to you if you need more.  Universities generally have every possible old book in the stacks, you may want to check what they have, and not carry what you can read there.

You've taken Organic Chemistry once, and now you're retaking it.  Why?

You have a text book the course is based on.  And you're adding another.  Why?  What is lacking in the course textbook?

You want to add another.  Why?  What is lacking in your previous course work, your class textbook, your additional textbook, that each textbook in your list provides?

Build a table or outline listing there merits.  You can share that with us, or just use it to make your own decision.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +319/-22
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
I would find the solutions manual of the textbook that you are using (McMurry).  That way when you do homework problems, you can check your answers.  Also, you should think about what changes in your study habits you plan to make this time around.  You could take one other book, just in case McMurry's explanation on a particular topic does not gel with you, but I don't see the point in taking more than that.

Offline KillerWhale2020

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Thank you. I'm considering taking Wade and Klein since those provide great explanations on certain topics than McMurry. I'm retaking Organic Chemistry because I got a D the first time I took it. My weakness was when we hit stereochemistry. I couldn't get a gasp on it. It may me confused. Without some stereochemistry knowledge I could t understand half of the other topics we were learning throughout the semester. I was also confusing myself when I did some of the chair conformation. Since I got a D in organic chemistry 1, I didn't take organic Chemistry 2 (I just audit it) as my professor said I need to get better at orgo 1 so I'm retaking it. 

I'm a transfer student

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
If you come to the stereochemistry section and get stuck again, you are welcome to post questions here, subject to the Forum Rules (see red link near the top of the page).

Offline KillerWhale2020

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 12:40:57 AM »
Thank you. I will come back when I hit Stereochemistry! Do you think I should get a molding kit?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 05:30:25 AM »
Those ball and stick modeling kits are kinda hard to find these days.   Wait lemme see ...

Goggle Google google

Huh.  Seems like Amazon sells everything.  OK.  Do try to avoid the ball and stick models, and go for the purely stick models with tiny connectors and longer sticks.  Visualizing stereochemistry of larger molecules is something you'll want to develop an intuition for, and those giant colored balls are going to be a distraction once you're getting into complicated molecules.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/z119660?lang=en&region=US
I still have the Cochranes molecular models that I bought as an undergraduate.  Cochranes models can even be applied to biochemistry, with respect to the Ramachandran diagram:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kewhg5spUjs
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:29:30 PM by Babcock_Hall »

Offline spirochete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +51/-9
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
I'd be careful reading many different Sophomore textbooks. Because they are all over simplified, different textbooks will tell you slightly different versions of the truth. Occasionally they even tell you completely contradictory things! So it's probably best to mostly stick to the textbook you are assigned for the course.

One book that is good for the basics is "organic chemistry as a second language" by Klein. But after the first few chapters where you learn the basics, you will want to refer to your own textbook for details.

As for stereochemistry, there are many different tips and tricks out there to help people who are spatially challenged. For example, you never really have to rotate the molecule in your head when assigning R or S. See this series of articles: https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2016/10/20/introduction-to-assigning-r-and-s-the-cahn-ingold-prelog-rules/

None the less a good model kit is invaluable, and if you're willing to spend the money I would buy at least two different ones to see which you like best.

Offline KillerWhale2020

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:47:41 PM »
Guys, I passed organic chemistry with a C+!!! Thank you so much for the Advice! Any advice for organic chemistry 2 preparation?

Sponsored Links