April 26, 2024, 08:01:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Left Supplements in Plastic Bottles/Bags in my hot car  (Read 3718 times)

DM323

Left Supplements in Plastic Bottles/Bags in my hot car
« on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Hi,

I had left my supplements in my hot car, they are in plastic bottles and powder bags, and I was wondering if anyone thinks the plastic particles may have melted and mixed in with the powders. Some of the supplements were in thick plastic bottles and and some were powders in these kind of thick plastic casings. I did have my windows cracked but my car was still extremely hot and I had left my car for like 2 hours and some of my supplements did go bad I think because they smelled bad like my Lithium for example. Is it possible that any of the plastic casings melting significantly and messed with the purity of my supplements? Should I just play it safe and buy all new supplements?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Left Supplements in Plastic Bottles/Bags in my hot car
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 02:54:36 AM »
Hard to tell - I doubt the plastic melted, but it still doesn't mean nothing has changed. if you feel like the suplements have changed the smell it is probably better to not use them anymore.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

DM323

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »
Hard to tell - I doubt the plastic melted, but it still doesn't mean nothing has changed. if you feel like the suplements have changed the smell it is probably better to not use them anymore.

I know plastics melt at different temperatures so it is very hard to tell. There are stories linking leaving your water bottle in your hot car and breast cancer for women. So I think maybe some particles came off.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Much more likely that some of the compounds in the supplement degraded to give the smell. The bottles are probably PET or polyethylene and they won't melt at car temperatures.

DM323

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »
Much more likely that some of the compounds in the supplement degraded to give the smell. The bottles are probably PET or polyethylene and they won't melt at car temperatures.

Okay thank you for the advice.

Sponsored Links